Can't Install Windows 8 Through USB

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 on to my new computer, but I can't seem to do it. I'm using a USB thumbdrive to install. I know that you're supposed to only be able to install Windows through a USB 2.0 port but, I only have USB 3.0 ports. After the first install screen where you enter your product key and choose a drive to install on, the system reboots back to the American Megatrends screen. I've tried booting off the SSD I installed Windows to, but everytime I do, the screen shows a flashing cursor for a few seconds, then takes me back to the bios. I tried changing the boot order as well, but everytime I do and hit "Save and Exit" It tells me I have not made any changes.

Solution

I actually got it to work somehow. For some reason, it would only boot to Windows about 50% of the time when clicking on my SSD, but after I got Windows fully installed, it works perfectly. Thanks for helping though!
What computer are you trying to install this on?

If the computer came with windows 8 or 10 then it should have new enough hardware to support installing windows from USB 3.0.
Win 8 and above have USB 3.0 support built in so you can install on USB 3, it was Win7 and earlier that could not.

Is the SSD formatted and have a GPT partition table on it, not an MBR?

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

I actually got it to work somehow. For some reason, it would only boot to Windows about 50% of the time when clicking on my SSD, but after I got Windows fully installed, it works perfectly. Thanks for helping though!

Solution