[SOLVED] Can't install Windows on new pc

Feb 7, 2022
Hi everyone,

I can't install windows on my brand new pc

I tried installing windows 10, 11, and even 7 just out of despair. But they all give the same problem.

I keep getting the message that "windows could not complete the installation".
Setup starts, copies the files up to 100%, and then reboots as normal. Then, when windows starts detecting hardware, it stops around 50% and then keeps rebooting 2-3 times until I get the message that it could not complete the installation.

Created USB Installation Media and Bootable Drive via Windows Media Creation Tool, and it works perfectly on my laptop and old pc. I tested 2 different USB drives to rule that out, too.

I have tried BIOS 4.40 up to 4.60 (the latest). I tried with default BIOS settings, with CSM enabled/disabled (doesn't find my drives when disabled ?). All overclocks disabled, no other peripherals connected besides mouse & keyboard.
I have tried 2 different M.2 NVM drives. Same problem on both of them.

This is my setup :

• X570 Taichi
  • ryzen 9 5900X
  • 3080 ti founders edition
  • 2 x 16GB G.skill Trident Z Neo, cas 16 3200mhz
  • 1TB & 2TB aorus gen4 m.2 nvme drives
  • 1000w seasonic prime gold
  • fractal design celsius+ s28 watercooler

I'm truly desperate

Solution
Setup starts, copies the files up to 100%, and then reboots as normal. Then, when windows starts detecting hardware, it stops around 50% and then keeps rebooting 2-3 times until I get the message that it could not complete the installation.

You can encounter this issue when a fresh Windows installation is interrupted before a user account is created.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-could-not-complete-the-installation

it sounds like the install isn't quite working right. I mean, its obvious but instead of going into OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) its going into audit mode. I haven't seen it do this before. I have seen plenty where it messes up at the restart, caused by USB being first in boot order and it never...

Colif

Win 11 Master

You can encounter this issue when a fresh Windows installation is interrupted before a user account is created.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-could-not-complete-the-installation

it sounds like the install isn't quite working right. I mean, its obvious but instead of going into OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) its going into audit mode. I haven't seen it do this before. I have seen plenty where it messes up at the restart, caused by USB being first in boot order and it never booting off C, but this sounds like its falling over after the restart but before account creation.

I wonder why.

Only have the one drive installed at time?
Its not a ram problem as it gets through first stage of install fine

with CSM enabled/disabled (doesn't find my drives when disabled ?)

since installs break half way, it doesn't help it can see them in CSM anyway. You probably want it set to defaults anyway. Some motherboards have an auto feature where it can swap between CSM/Legacy boot and UEFI if it doesn't find any drives.
Yours being seen when enabled makes me think it was being installed as Legacy which is odd choice for NVME

amazed bios doesn't have boot override - https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X570 Taichi.pdf

i would be tempted to run an Ubuntu live usb and see if it can spot any problems - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#1-overview

Reactions: SmartBoomer
Solution
Feb 7, 2022
Thank you for your reply. I have tried everything, UEFI or CSM, different ways of creating the usb drive (media creation tool and rufus with iso). All different bios versions, swapping nvme drives. Secure boot on/off. Forcing boot from nvme after 1st reboot after win istall. I followed the steps that some other user on this forum posted (see below), but it just keeps giving the same error. Sitting next to a €3700 brick is just great, I am losing it..

*edit : I tried both the Media Creation Tool from microsoft, and Rufus with ISO from the microsoft site, to create my usb flash drive. Tried 2 different drives a well

“The NVMe M.2 drive should be the only storage drive connected.

NVMe SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module, Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver

Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM. Make sure it is disabled.

Click on the secure boot option below and make sure it is set to another OS, not windows UEFI.

Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works too. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.

Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

Press F10 to save and exit, Windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives”

Last edited: