Question Can't install Windows - the PC doesn't restart during the procedure..

Aug 30, 2023
My PC has been having boot and restart problems so I decided to try and re-install Windows.

The problem is that I can't complete the installation because the PC won't restart towards the end of the install operation - so all I get is a black screen.

I have just installed a more powerful PSU so it's not that. I have a new motherboard too.

Does anyone think I need to try a number of different BIOS's, to see if any one of them fixes the issue? Or is it something else?

If I clear CMOS and reboot I can get into CMD and the BIOS.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023
You said you have a new motherboard, is this when you ran into the problem> What motherboard and cpu?
Yes I was troubleshooting, and thought it might be hardware. I don't believe the new motherboard is the source of the problems. I now have an Asus Z790-A II. The CPU is Intel Core i7-14700K.

Last edited:
The problem is that I can't complete the installation because the PC won't restart towards the end of the install operation - so all I get is a black screen.
I can only assume your getting stuck on the last reboot before the computer restarts to the installer telling you to please wait while Windows gets your desktop ready.

If I'm right when the installer does that last restart wait till the computer is in the loop to reboot and than remove the USB Windows installer. Let the computer do it's thing like you never removed the USB stick see if the install finishes up.

Aug 30, 2023
I can only assume your getting stuck on the last reboot before the computer restarts to the installer telling you to please wait while Windows gets your desktop ready.

If I'm right when the installer does that last restart wait till the computer is in the loop to reboot and than remove the USB Windows installer. Let the computer do it's thing like you never removed the USB stick see if the install finishes up.

You are right about what is going on. I have removed the install boot usb when the PC is about to reboot, but what happens is that the display monitor's message is 'DisplayPort No Signal' - but there has obviously just been display just before that when the Windows is installing and I've just come from the BIOS. I'm not sure if it's a graphics driver issue - but how do I change NVidia drivers when I can't get into Windows? - I've tried looking up ways with cmd but couldn't find anything personally.

Just to add - I have a i7-14700K, so i might try getting into the BIOS and enabling the iGPU and see if I get any luck installing Windows that way ie. if I plug the HDMI into the motherboard port. I will report back.

Aug 30, 2023

I enabled iGPU in the BIOS and plugged the DP cable into the motherboard - nothing. Same when I plugged a HDMI cable in. Same thing when I plugged HDMI from PC to another monitor and I tried my TV -'No Display'.

I'm thinking it's either gpu driver issue or faulty gpu?? The only other thing i can think of is the SSD - however, I have ran a wmic command in cmd and it came back as health 'ok'. However, I think it might be ok but still possibly have boot issues perhaps??

Not sure, need advice.

Last edited:
Okay can you go a little different direction so we can see if it's parts. or bios setting.

Download Linux POP OS.

Create a bootable POP thumb drive. Unplug your hard drive and than boot off the live USB stick.

Can you get to a working desktop off the live POP Linus OS.

Mostly just wanting to see if your hardware is all playing nice. If your still black screening it goes back to parts.

Aug 30, 2023
Okay can you go a little different direction so we can see if it's parts. or bios setting.

Download Linux POP OS.

Create a bootable POP thumb drive. Unplug your hard drive and than boot off the live USB stick.

Mostly just wanting to see if your hardware is all playing nice. If your still black screening it goes back to part
Ok, but when you say "unplug your harddrive", what do you mean by that?

Also, do you want me to actually install POP OS to my SSD, or create the POP OS on a USB stick?

Last edited:
No you don't need to install it to the PC. POP can run of the USB. test it like that. Your choice if you want to install it to hard drive but not needed.

As far as the hard drive I always suggest taking that out of the mix for testing but again up to you

Aug 30, 2023

Download Linux POP OS.

Mostly just wanting to see if your hardware is all playing nice. If your still black screening it goes back to parts.
I have just tried to install POP OS (with NVidia support) to the PC and it started going well, ie, the POP OS installation process started and I was getting the correct installation screens - but then there was a restart during this installation (much like the previous Windows one) - and the PC failed to restart and I black screened again. Again the monitor showed 'No Display' message. I have had to abort the installation process by hard pressing the power button to shut down.

nb. I looked up how to create a live bootable POP OS off a flash drive - but I don't have 2 USB's to hand as required.

Also, before I started this install attempt - I disabled secure boot in the BIOS as was recommended.

From my experience with this I would say that I can't boot off of a USB unless I turn off the PC, then clear CMOS, then turn on and then get into the BIOS, then go to boot options and choose to boot off the USB drive.

So far with this issue I've installed a new upgrade motherboard, a new CPU and a new more powerful PSU. I originally thought that I might have had this issue because I re-used the boot SSD from the old Asus motherboard with the new Asus one - but not sure.

Just of note - when I had the last Windows installation, I was getting issues with Acronis backups where the backup would complete and then automatically start up again without stopping. I re-installed Acronis because I had this new motherboard at this stage and found that I still couldn't successfully back up my Windows. I think now that really I should have freshly installed Acronis as soon as I got my new motherboard. Not sure if that has anything to do with this - but think I was getting boot issues before that - must have done or I wouldn't have bought the new motherboard.

EDIT: I've just removed the GPU and cleaned the contacts. Removed the CMOS battery for a while and replaced it. Removed the 12VHPWR RGB strimer extension cable from the GPU and plugged the PSU 12VHPWR cable straight in.
Unfortunately this had made no difference - I tried to install Windows from the boot USB but it black screens/no displays again when the installation tries to restart.

No further forward with this.

Last edited: