Can't Install Windows Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurkingwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I have been trying to install some windows updates on a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Every time I try to update I receive two error codes. One is 8024200D and the other is 80092004. I have tried everything I can think of aside from wiping and re-installing windows to get rid of these error codes to install the updates. I have followed the troubleshooter, I have followed the help steps provided on several different forums including this one http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...o/b0ae43eb-8e84-4a71-94af-75318c984d45?page=1, and I tried installing the System Update Readiness tool. None have resolved these error codes and allowed me to install. Is there anything I can do to resolve these without a system wipe? I'm really trying to avoid wiping the PC. If any additional info is required I will be more than happy to provide it. Thanks in advance.

lurkingwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I've tried that way to update, it gives the same results. As far as I know I do not have Service Pack 1 installed. I ran Advanced System Care to see if that might fix the errors and that managed to install 19 of the updates. I still have 129 (92 important 37 optional) updates that keep being suggested to me by windows update and I can't get any of those to install. It seems to download them, then install them, then displays the error code and says every install failed. Then on each reboot it tries to install them while shutting down but upon startup none of them have installed. I've even tried picking out one at a time but each update gives one of the error codes and fails.

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I think I had this issue on a pc at work a few weeks back (I don't remember which error I was getting). What I did was install one update at a time. It took some time but got them all installed and everything was fine after that. I think the updates are tripping over each other or something.

lurkingwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
As far as I know it's a legal version. I borrowed it from my brother because my PC didn't come with a disc. He says his install off the same disc is working fine. I have also tried installing them individually and even then I still receive the same error codes. I did try putting the disc in to do a system repair and it told me that the version of windows I installed does not match the version of windows on the disc, even though it is the disc I installed from. I have also ran virus scans through Avast Pro and Advanced System Care and neither found any so I doubt it could be a virus.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I had a similar issue once before and I ended up renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Try this:

Rename the folder at this location “%windir%/Softwaredistribution – normally, that should be Computer | C Drive | Windows |Softwaredistribution.

To be able to rename the folder, you should first stop the Window Update service like this:

Make sure you are logged on as an Administrator
Stop the Windows Update service
Press the Start button | Control Panel | System and Security | Administrative Tools

Double click “Services”

Or

Go to Start | Run and type services.msc in the “Open” box to access the services console.

Scroll to and select the Windows Update service, then click the “Stop” button on top. This will stop the Windows Update services and allow you to rename the folder.
After renaming the folder, restart the Windows Update service and try updating your system again. The update service should recreate the SoftwareDistribution folder and repopulate it with update data including missing updates and you should be able to install updates. It worked for me but as usual, your experience may be different.

If things go sideways, then just perform the above steps and delete the new folder and rename to the old folder to the original and restart the service - but I doubt it.

Hope this helps.

Edit#1: Corrected some grammar

lurkingwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
It was a thought. I had originally tried deleting the Download section under SoftwareDistribution and it didn't do anything. After your post I'm surprised I didn't think of trying that too. Unfortunately it didn't help with my problem any. =S

Edit: Didn't see the pony up comment. While I am seriously considering it, it would still require a wipe which I am reluctant to do. Also, for some reason i doubt that is the problem, my brother has that same OS installed on 10+ PC's and none of them have this issue :na: . He reuses that disk every time he builds a new PC which is probably at least every week. He seems fascinated with picking up broken ones at the thrift store and fixing them :na: .

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I came across some other links that you can at least try:

http://blog.teesupport.com/how-to-guide-fix-windows-update-error-8024200d-on-windows-7vista/

And...

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/280304-error-code-80092004-update.html

or

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-update-error-code-80092004/e85f499a-09fc-431d-bca2-88aec307c0f1

This would be frustrating to me as well, just don't give up yet. At least if you do decide to re-install that you can then say everything was tried and failed!

lurkingwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Alas still no luck. I agree with you there, I'll hold out a few more days hoping someone might have the obscure piece of knowledge that might fix my issue then admit defeat knowing I've done everything I could. Thanks for all the effort so far everyone.

Born2BMild

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Just curious if wiping everything solved your issue with being unable to update (of if something else did). I have the same problem you had...can't update...have tried every fix that has been suggested.

lurkingwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Born2BMild, yes wiping and reinstalling did fix my problem. As best as I could tell it tried to install updates out of order since there were so many at once and that's what caused the issue, at least for me anyway. So, just as a recommendation I'd say to only do a few updates at a time, like 3-5 then restart to see if they stick, and make sure that you pick them in order. If it doesn't take one, don't freak out, it missed one here and there for me but if I just re-picked it and installed only the one it missed before moving on again it seemed to work ok. Good luck and I hope this fixes it for you too. (Still wish there was a better way, wiping sucks. >.> )

JasonY57543041

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
lurkingwolf, I have had the exact same problem and have found a solution for the issue. Please take into precaution that you will lose all of your personal data if you do not back it up on a USB drive or CD. Follow these steps in order.

-Go to Control Panel
-Select Recovery
-Select Advanced recovery methods
-Select Return you computer to factory condition

-Here you can select whether or not if you want to backup your personal files or not. If you want to back them up, click Back up now. If not, click Skip.

After that your computer will restart and begin the restore. You will have to refill out the information about your computer (passwords, hard drive name, etc.). After the restore is complete go back into your control panel and try to update your computer in windows update and it should work. Let me know if this helps you or anybody else.

-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.