Can't install Xbox One controller drivers

Ethridge

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
Hello, ive recently bought a Rock Candy xbox one controller to use with my pc and upon plugging it in it did not detect a driver for it. So I went to the Microsoft website to download the driver manually and I accidentally downloaded the 32 bit version (I'm 64bit) and when I went to download the 64 bit version it says "Microsoft Xbox One Controller Driver Setup Has Ended Prematurely Due To An Error". I've restored my computer back to a point before even buying this controller and I still cannot install this driver.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

The official Xbox One controller should 100% just work as good as the Xbox 360 controller on PC.

The Rock Candy version seems dodgy. Try removing your current driver through device manager and install the 64-bit version to see what it does.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Oh I know about the xbox one controller I didn't mean to suggest that wouldn't work, I actually use an xbox one controller with my pc.

Ethridge

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

See that's the issue, I cant uninstall the 32 bit driver. I cant find it in device manager to uninstall it, since the controller still doesn't pick it up. However, I went to my brothers house for a while and tried it on his PC, I plugged in the controller (which it did not detect a driver for at first) and then installed the 64 bit driver for it and the controller picked it up, light came on, and was good to go.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If its not in your programs and features applet, its not in mine, you can try this. I think this might be the driver go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers its at the bottom of the page called xboxgip.sys I would assume this is the driver it says "game input protocol driver" in the description not entirely sure however.

Ethridge

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

I cant find this file, even searching it doesn't find it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

So you plugged an xbox one controller into your computer using a micro usb cable and it just doesn't work? The controller is plug in play all you should have to do was plug the thing in and it should work pretty much immediately, it should download the driver by itself when it gets plugged in. Does the controller light up when u plug it in?

Ethridge

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
Yes, unfortunately the problem was a lot bigger than I thought, it was a configuration database registry corruption which wouldn't let me install any updates or drivers (Obviously I cant use my computer like that). So I backed up all my files and did a reinstall. All works fine after that.