Can't Join Homegroup

gpbarth1146

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Got a brand new computer, running Win 10. Turned it on, and it set up everything without asking more than where I lived. When it finished, I was on the internet through my router, private network, on Workgroup, with the name Network. No Homegroup.

Now, my other two computers are on Network2. I attempted to join the Homegroup. I clicked on Join, entered the passcode, and in a few seconds, I was told that there were network problems, and that I should try to resolve those problems before continuing. So I clicked on the Network troubleshooting button, and I was told that there were no problems to fix.

I can't find out where to change the network name to Network2, and I can't join my own Homegroup. I need to connect this computer to use shared software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-= Gary =-

Solution
Well, as a former network engineer, I know my way around, but I've been out of the loop for some time now. I did several things, however, which fixed my particular problem.

First, my network is fairly standard. Cable modem, Netgear Wi-Fi router, and a 4-port gigabit switch. Three computers are hardwired into this switch. One is actually running Unbutu Linux. The other two are running Win 10. On the wireless side, one laptop running Win 7, and a bunch of tablets, two Rokus and a smart TV. The laptop is part of the Workgroup AND part of the Homegroup. Significantly, as it turns out.

First off, I thought the problem was the network name. The other Windows desktop and the wireless laptop were named Network 2. So I went to the registry and...

kanewolf

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from gpbarth1146 : "Home Networking Problem"

gpbarth1146

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Well, as a former network engineer, I know my way around, but I've been out of the loop for some time now. I did several things, however, which fixed my particular problem.

First, my network is fairly standard. Cable modem, Netgear Wi-Fi router, and a 4-port gigabit switch. Three computers are hardwired into this switch. One is actually running Unbutu Linux. The other two are running Win 10. On the wireless side, one laptop running Win 7, and a bunch of tablets, two Rokus and a smart TV. The laptop is part of the Workgroup AND part of the Homegroup. Significantly, as it turns out.

First off, I thought the problem was the network name. The other Windows desktop and the wireless laptop were named Network 2. So I went to the registry and changed the name on the new machine to Network 2. Tried to join the Home group again, and failed the same way (supposedly a network failure).

Then, I looked closely at the wording in the Homegroup request, and it mentioned that the laptop name had been the original creator of the Homegroup, and that it or another computer in the group would allow my new machine to join. Just get the password...

Ah-hah! The laptop usually sits dormant and unused in our kitchen. The wife pulls it out occasionally for recipes or print-outs, but it's usually closed and off-line. On a wild hunch, I opened it and logged on, putting it on-line. I then went back to my new machine and tried once again to join the Homegroup. And it worked! It seems that, as the original source of the Homegroup creation, it had to be on-line to allow the new machine to join.

I leave it up to the experts to tell me why this worked. Although the other hard-wired machine was also a member of the Homegroup, it would not verify the request; only the laptop could do it.

So, I fixed it, but I can't explain in detail HOW!

Solution