Cant locate AHCI mode in BIOS, help?

mic1983

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
Hello,

My current system is:

PREMIUM - Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor Q9450 (2.66GHz, 1333MHz, 12MB cache)

4096MB 1333 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [4x1024]

1.2 TB (2x 640 GB) Serial ATA (7200 Rpm) Dual HDD Config Raid 0 Stripe

My motherboard is 0G254H

I am upgrading to an SSD to install my OS, waiting for it to arrive. But I cannot see AHCI in my BIOS, which i understand is the best means to operate the SSD to max functionality. My BIOS screen only has two options for 'SATA OPERATION'

1 = RAID Autodetect / ATA

2 = RAID ON

The controller details reading 'Controller = Serial ATA' for the already connected HDD's.

Is this going to mean that I cannot utilise the SSD to its potential?

Any and all answers welcome

Thanks

Solution
Hi mic1983, from the MB 0G254H, I know your PC is the dell XPS 430, so don't be surprised you can't find the AHCI mode in the BIOS, because they disable some functions in the BIOS. When you use the raid mode, which will enable AHCI mode too. As long as you have the raid mode option, then you are fine to use the SSD on this MB. http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-ahci-and-raid/ You need get the manual from dell website by enter the service tag, by the way they don't need this before, then find which SATA port is the SATA_0 and connect the SSD into it.
When you install the OS, if you use the win7 disc you need go to the BIOS to set the boot order to: DVD/CD=1st, SSD/hard drive=2nd, also set the storage mode to...
Ouch that`s one heck of an old board.
And there we have it, one of the points of buying a pre built system or OEM.
The boards are very limited in connectors and features.

What you have if you look are two Sata ports.
The black one is for raid mode, and the blue is for a single Sata device.

When you turn the raid option off in the bios. it may be the case only the Blue sata port works.
Or both the black an blue both work to connect two independent drives.

The raid option is so you can merge both drives by pairing them so it looks like one drive in windows. Current Raid 0 two drives black and blue Sata ports of the board used. Raid off. SSD boot drive, 1 x 160gb extra data storage. Seen as C: and D: in windows.

So if you intend to fit just a single ssd drive then you must turn raid off in your bios.
or the ssd will not be detected. It should not impact on the speed of the new ssd by the way.
But do remember to turn raid off if using a single ssd drive in favor of two drives in raid mode ok.

You could then use one of your 160GB drives For extra data storage as well.
Obviously it would mean destroying the created raid of the two 160gb drives.
leaving you with a spare 160gb drive after a format for extra storage.

Rendering the prior raid setup of 2x160gb drives with windows non boot able.

Or buy a larger Capacity Mechanical HD for extra Data storage space.
leaving your raid array intact for future use.

But the option is yours.
Saying that the board may only have a Sata 1 controller on the board so ir would limit the speed of the SSD drive with data through put of the interface.

Let me check.

Edit states: supports Sata 2.0

mic1983

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
Its my intention to clean install, completely wipe the drives I currently have, and Install Windows 7 Home Premium onto the SSD. I've read that switching to AHCI post install is not good as it results in conflicts with drives. Is the applicable if I intend on reformatting the whole system? I will have a look into Intel Rapid storage, what is it that it does exactly? Will it enable AHCI mode? Thanks

you can change in windows to ahci mode watch how , then you can change ide to ahci in bios without blue screens or crashes i have done this many times without issue.

normally if you have installed in ide mode and you change to ahci in your bios it will crash and bluescreen , this method %100 works

mic1983

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks Sean, I'm quite happy to dismantle the RAID array, and use them as 2 separate HDD.

I believe the board has 6 Sata ports on it, so is it likely i could just have the 2 connected as single drives.

With regards to turning RAID off in BIOS, - that would mean setting it to RAID Autodetect / ATA, as these are the only two options available. Is putting the controller to this setting this going to make the SSD run at optimum speed, or is it still constrained?

mic1983

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Thanks Micky, my concern is, because I cant see the AHCI as an option in the BIOS at the moment, am I editing the regedit file only to find out that my system doesn't support AHCI. (apologies if that quesiton is redundant, i'm out of my depth, i just want to ensure that the SSD i install isn't a waste of money if its not going to boost the systems performance)

mic1983

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for your reply, I noted that you said the mobo supports sata 2.0, which is great news for my SSD ideas. How did you find this out, as I have been searching for information on the mobo, but to no avail. Thanks

Hi mic1983, from the MB 0G254H, I know your PC is the dell XPS 430, so don't be surprised you can't find the AHCI mode in the BIOS, because they disable some functions in the BIOS. When you use the raid mode, which will enable AHCI mode too. As long as you have the raid mode option, then you are fine to use the SSD on this MB. http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-ahci-and-raid/ You need get the manual from dell website by enter the service tag, by the way they don't need this before, then find which SATA port is the SATA_0 and connect the SSD into it.
When you install the OS, if you use the win7 disc you need go to the BIOS to set the boot order to: DVD/CD=1st, SSD/hard drive=2nd, also set the storage mode to raid, saving and exit. Pleas note: don't connect any other HDD into the MB, disconnect them and you can reconnect them after done the installation OS.
When you reboot the PC as long as you don't set up the SSD to the raid, your SSD will be in the single drive, I add the link for how to clean install win7. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html
After done the installation, you need reconnect the regular HDD if you have one, and tweak the ssd, here is how http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Solution

milehigh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
I see this is an old post, but I came across the same problem. Was this ever fully resolved? I have a Dell 540s and there is no AHCI option in the BIOS, only 'ATA' or 'RAID.' From what I'm reading here and in other forums, if I'm in RAID mode, that will enable AHCI. True?

Also, will TRIM still function properly?

Thanks!

milehigh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
**UPDATE**

SSD drive is installed and seems to be working great. Bootup and shutdown times are awesome, and the system seems very snappy overall. I only have SATA II, so it looks like my max is 3 Gb/s, but it's still a big improvement over my spinner.

I had some trouble getting my drive initialized, and using Acronis True Image, but I got it sorted out. I ended up cloning my old drive. I'm one happy camper.

I used TrimCheck to make sure TRIM is working, and it says yes.

Thanks for the help!

cdgatti

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
milehigh... hopefully you are still active here. I am going though this same change right now on my xps 430. I am having a shop replace my 750gb hdd with a 240gb ssd and upgrade from vista to 7. were you able to get your windows program and other programs operate on the ssd and use the hdd for storage?