Can't log in unless I restart my computer

Sirwoofish

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
When turning my computer on, it shows me the lock screen but when I press space to log in it does the sliding up animation and just shows a dimmer version of the background image, with the 3 little things in the bottom right hand corner. But if I restart the computer it works like normal

Solution
You sure PC doesn't just have it set to sleep after 30 minutes in power options? I think that is default settings

SFC doesn't seem to help much with user problems, wish there was a troubleshooter but that would be too easy.

Before installing win 10, remove power from the hdd as win 10 has a habit of putting its boot partition on other drives if it gets the chance to, and this can be a pain if you later remove hdd and find win 10 won't boot. Unplug PC from wall before unplugging hdd inside case

Even still, the installer would just ignore the HDD if you left it in, would just have to be careful which drive to install win 10 onto during install process. You could use that USB if you want, getting newer ones just saves on getting updates...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try setting up a local user and see if same thing happens to it - its possible your user is corrupt: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10 - similar thing happened to me

if local user fixes it, its easy enough to login to normal user, make new account an admin, and copy all the other users folders in c/users/username onto new user. They have access to all programs on PC now and only things that need to be set up again are Onedrive, and browsers, and perhaps Steam. It takes 10 minutes max.

another fix could be
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

this scans system files and may fix this behaviour

Or you can try start up repair
from desktop, go to settings/update & security/recovery/advanced start up - press restart now button
this loads advanced start up
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

Sirwoofish

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016

Thank you! I've made a second account and it has stopped. I haven't moved my files to it yet, I might wait a couple of days or so and see if it the trouble arises

Colif

Win 11 Master
When do shut downs occur? randomly or just while you try to start PC?

Did you do the sfc /scannow command? or try start up repair?

Try a clean boot and see if its any better - this will tell us if its one of your start up programs causing it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929135

If you all of those, and it still plays up, I feel the best move might be a fresh install if your users still don't work. Copy everything you want to save onto a USB or Onedrive or another hdd (I tend to do all 3). A fresh install will wipe entire hdd C is on so make sure to remove everything before you start.

Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order in bios so USB first, HDD second
Boot from installer and follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Sirwoofish

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016

I can't say for sure because it's happened only twice while i was away from my computer, but as a guess it would of happened under 40 minutes after leaving my computer and being logged in. As for the sfc /scannow command and trying start up repair they both said nothing was wrong, I'll double check and I'll try a clean boot.

If push comes to shove I might do a fresh install. I have a SSD with my OS and a HDD with all my other programs and ect. will fresh install wipe the stuff off my HDD? Also I have the windows 10 usb should I use that instead?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You sure PC doesn't just have it set to sleep after 30 minutes in power options? I think that is default settings

SFC doesn't seem to help much with user problems, wish there was a troubleshooter but that would be too easy.

Before installing win 10, remove power from the hdd as win 10 has a habit of putting its boot partition on other drives if it gets the chance to, and this can be a pain if you later remove hdd and find win 10 won't boot. Unplug PC from wall before unplugging hdd inside case

Even still, the installer would just ignore the HDD if you left it in, would just have to be careful which drive to install win 10 onto during install process. You could use that USB if you want, getting newer ones just saves on getting updates afterwards as its latest version on web site.

Solution