can't log onto windows xp

JimG2013

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
I deleted a user and now I can't get past that user name which still comes up on boot-up. I can't get to administrator because it won't let me past that screen. Even in safe mode the deleted user comes up and won't let me do anything else. Any suggestions?

Solution
Hit Crl-Alt-Del twice in a row at the logon screen. You will get a logon dialog box where you can type in the user account to logon with. If you don't know what that is, you are stuck. Try Administrator with a blank password. Normally the administrator account is hidden or sometimes disabled, which is why it's not showing up as an option to logon to if you have it set to the picture logon.
If this was the ONLY user account on the computer, then you need to wipe the whole drive and start all over (no support for XP anyway so your even more screwed possibly for drivers and such). Normally when you have XP load, you could TYPE THE NAME of the account into the LOGIN window, unless it is secured down somehow, so again back to the original answer.

JimG2013

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

The reason I deleted it was there was an administrator so I thought that it would default to that if I deleted the other user. Is there no way to log in as administrator?

NO. And NO it doesn't 'default' to administrator (are you thinking like Linux?). You need a USER account setup, and if you can't change the name on it, nor log in as the user, then as I said start with a wipe and rebuld. Personally if I had a XP box, I would just run a BootDisk Wipe and head to Walmart, new PC is only $300 and you get support for the current OS, which you don't under XP anymore.

JimG2013

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Thanks for the help.
Actually I got a new HP box only with Windows 7, Intel Dual Core, 750GB HD, & 4gb Ram & 3 yr warranty for $125 from Wal~mart.com. The other was an old Dell I had. Wanted to use it in the basement. Guess I'll buy a 2nd unit and scrap the Dell.

Hit Crl-Alt-Del twice in a row at the logon screen. You will get a logon dialog box where you can type in the user account to logon with. If you don't know what that is, you are stuck. Try Administrator with a blank password. Normally the administrator account is hidden or sometimes disabled, which is why it's not showing up as an option to logon to if you have it set to the picture logon.

Solution

JimG2013

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Thanks for the further info! The Dell had a good sized HD, so I pulled it and the memory. I'm going to scrap the box, get a new computer and put the HD in, format it and use as a second drive. Might even get a few $$$ for the RAM chips.

TRENDING THREADS