Can't login - forgotten password

Status
Not open for further replies.

shokan

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I bought an Acer E11 111M laptop at Best Buy in October. Two days ago I did a recovery from the factory installed partition, Win 8.1. I typed in a PW and a hint. But, now I can't login to Windows because I must have misspelled the PW when entering it.

I tried following Microsoft's advice about creating a reset disc. The wizard first asks for a user account password... this was using my old laptop to do this... Once I entered the old laptop's PW, I was prompted to create the disc. Which I did onto a USB thumb drive.

I inserted the thumb drive into the new laptop and booted. After trying a few tries at what my misspelled might be (and failed), I clicked on reset PW and was prompted to the reset disc (the thumb drive with the file on it called "userkey.psw")

I typed in a new PW in the wizard that followed with hint. I got a meesge thet said "an error occurred for this user account", or similar to that.

What am I doing wrong?

I could not get an answer to this problem on a well-known forum because of a policy issue, which is understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.