Can't make a decision!! RX 480 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB mini?

Alex_266

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I'm playing 1080p and I want minimum 50FPS.

For the most part I play GTA V, BF 1-4, Watch Dogs, and might play Assassin's Creed, FarCry, and a few others.

I like having MSAA on max as well as everything else on Ultra.

If/when newer games come out, i would play the newer versions of GTA and Watch Dogs.

I like VSync on even when the frames are a bit slower, which seems better to me than more frames and VSync off.

Temperature/electricity not really an issue here.

I know the RX 480 does better with DX12/Vulkan, but I'm not sure if I'll even need that (?)

Also will the MINI version of the 1060 be any worse than the non-mini? is the performance the same?

Solution
Today, DX12 should not be an issue, there are few games that implement it, and the benefit accrues to very slow processors with many cores, AKA FX 6 and 8.
On tom's gpu hierarchy list, the GTX1060 is stronger than FX480, but not so much better if the price difference is large.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I would think that a miniGTX1060 would perform equally well.
Graphics card makers know marketing and that fancy coolers sell for more.
Fact is, the supplied coolers are usually appropriate for the card being sold.
Higher factory overclocked versions are probably a fair deal for the extra price.

joesavy86

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Go for the GTX 1070!
I know it's more money, but it's so much more worth it.
Or consider waiting for Vega, it should be on par with the 1070/1080 cards.
Bought my MSI GTX 1070 and have ZERO regrets.
Upgraded from Radeon 7870.

Alex_266

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Breh, the 1070 is WAY more expensive. That's an extra $150 more than the 1060/480.

Today, DX12 should not be an issue, there are few games that implement it, and the benefit accrues to very slow processors with many cores, AKA FX 6 and 8.
On tom's gpu hierarchy list, the GTX1060 is stronger than FX480, but not so much better if the price difference is large.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I would think that a miniGTX1060 would perform equally well.
Graphics card makers know marketing and that fancy coolers sell for more.
Fact is, the supplied coolers are usually appropriate for the card being sold.
Higher factory overclocked versions are probably a fair deal for the extra price.

Solution

Alex_266

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

One question. Will all DX11 games switch/get upgraded into DX12 eventually, or are they set on their pre-determined version "forever"?

Some games will be gaining a DX12 code path but will keep their current DX11 code path as well. Also it seems like many of the games coming out with DX12 will have either DX11 or a Vulkan code path as well, there will be some games that only use DX12 or Vulkan due to the draw call limitations of DX11.

i just purchased a 1060 (love it) and i have no regrets. My reasoning is it uses less power, stays cooler, runs quieter, and im already familiar with nvidias software. And a mini 1060 would just reach higher temps and probably be abit louder, and full size cards might perform a little better.

Alex_266

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Could you tell us what FPS you're getting on GTAV maxed out? what FPS would I get with VSync ON if I have an i5 4460 + GTX 1060?

jeffredo

Distinguished
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Both have their strengths. The GTX 1060 is faster overall and the RX 480 does better with Vulcan. If you like to play games with vertical sync I'd recommend the Nvidia card. Driver based adaptive vertical sync is something I don't think AMD will ever implement and it makes a big difference (at least for me).

Alex_266

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

What does "vulcan" mean exactly? do all games have/use it?
Is the Nvidia card gonna be significantly faster with Vsync for GTA V? (i'm just trying to get a grasp on the differences between the cards since I've never owned either one. i just sold my R9 280 to upgrade)

Vulkan is a new graphics API similar to DX12 as it allows lower level control of the gpu than older API's like DX11 or OpenGL. Not many games use it yet but it is going to be used in some upcoming titles as it can be used in many different OS's unlike DX12 which is Windows 10 only. https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/