[SOLVED] Can't OC Ryzen 3600 via BIOS on Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

Sep 30, 2020
Bought a Ryzen 5 3600 recently with B450 Aorus Elite and I couldn't OC 3600 no matter what settings I touch in BIOS. I tried multiple BIOS versions aswell,around 4 different and I got the same results.

When I do boot up the PC with stock settings,it allows me to OC thru Ryzen Master without any issues,even as down as 1.25V on 4.3GHz (I currently run 1.25V on 4.25) but if I even touch clock speed in BIOS it just doesn't want to boot up. I tried giving it +0.200V in dynamic vcore but it still didn't want to boot up either way.
I contacted ggb support but it's hella slow so I'm trying to ask the community.
Current bios: F52 (Agesa 1.0.0.6) Amd cool option and C2 are disabled. Also have LC-CC-120 cooler,no temp issues,never saw it go above 70° in cinebench,around 40° in idle,50-62° games @4.25

Solution
@drea.drechsler I'll try clearing CMOS and re-doing everything. I'm highly doubt it'll change but it's probably worth a try.

For the things below. I'm not interested because it takes hours of tweaking and I'm really not interested into some heavy overclocking nor getting much of a performance boost at the moment.
That's the point of CTR...it won't chain you to hours of tuning and testing. It only takes maybe 20-30 minutes and it does the whole thing. It's not going to give you a performance boost, either, if you use it's default settings.

I feel the best thing is the profiles for applying settings at each re-start. If I was 'overclocking' I would definitely prefer it to BIOS.

Linus' video brought the best...

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
I'm not buying a gigabyte budget board again. I have a B450M Gaming and even though it is a B450 board, it is missing voltage controls and all I can adjust is dynamic vcore. Only way to OC is via Ryzen Master. Not sure about yours though.

Sep 30, 2020
I'm not buying a gigabyte budget board again. I have a B450M Gaming and even though it is a B450 board, it is missing voltage controls and all I can adjust is dynamic vcore. Only way to OC is via Ryzen Master. Not sure about yours though.

Yea,my mistake aswell in a way. I usually hate gigabyte but their boards have really good VRM's which can be handy in a lot of situations. MSI is probably the way but.. it is what it is. Just adjust your vcore via Ryzen master since I see you're more or less in same situation as myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: thefxgamingrules
Yea,my mistake aswell in a way. I usually hate gigabyte but their boards have really good VRM's which can be handy in a lot of situations. MSI is probably the awy but.. it is what it is. Just adjust your vcore via Ryzen master since I see you're more or less in same situation as myself.

Their high end boards usually do, but your B450 Aorus Elite has a really poor VRM configuration... one of the worst from what I reckon among B450 boards.

Aside from that, VRMs get incredibly hot on this board due to airflow to those heatsinks being drastically impaired by plastics and such. It'll be fine overclocking a 65W TDP chip like that 3600, but stepping up to a 95W TDP overclocking is not recommended at all(unless you're actively cooling the VRMs directly with a fan).

Sep 30, 2020
Their high end boards usually do, but your B450 Aorus Elite has a really poor VRM configuration... one of the worst from what I reckon among B450 boards.

Aside from that, VRMs get incredibly hot on this board due to airflow to those heatsinks being drastically impaired by plastics and such. It'll be fine overclocking a 65W TDP chip like that 3600, but stepping up to a 95W TDP overclocking is not recommended at all(unless you're actively cooling the VRMs directly with a fan).

I dunno about that,my friend has a Tomahawk and has worse VRM temps with same CPU than myself even tho Aorus Elite is lower tier. It's been treating me well for now aside from BIOS issues,temps-wise and software-wise close to perfect.

I dunno about all that stuff below. I've never seen it hit above 49-50°C even with 1.35V@4.35GHz. Not that I don't believe you,it's just that I'm able to test it in hand and it doesn't seem that horrible.
What are my options in your opinion? Because "returning" it has a very small chance.

I dunno about all that stuff below. I've never seen it hit above 49-50°C even with 1.35V@4.35GHz.

49-50C for VRMs and with an OCed 3600?
That's really hard to believe. I had one of these boards on my hand as well and this definitely wasn't the case. With an OCed Ryzen 5 2600 to 4GHz I was getting to 80C on those VRMs only after 10 mins of stability testing with Prime95.

Those temps you're getting are maybe under some lighter loads.

Sep 30, 2020
49-50C for VRMs and with an OCed 3600?
That's really hard to believe. I had one of these boards on my hand as well and this definitely wasn't the case. With an OCed Ryzen 5 2600 to 4GHz I was getting to 80C on those VRMs only after 10 mins of stability testing with Prime95.

Those temps you're getting are maybe under some lighter loads.

It it hard believe. If I do a bench again for @4.3GHz or lower I'll try to remember you and get you a screenshot/vid. I ran a stress test for ~15min and after it got to 49-50C it didn't move. In any case,that doesn't matter as much now,I still didn't fix my issue and I assume there isn't a fix for it?

It it hard believe. If I do a bench again for @4.3GHz or lower I'll try to remember you and get you a screenshot/vid. I ran a stress test for ~15min and after it got to 49-50C it didn't move. In any case,that doesn't matter as much now,I still didn't fix my issue and I assume there isn't a fix for it?

As for your issue... have you tried uninstalling Ryzen Master completely and do your OCing only from your BIOS?

Sep 30, 2020
As for your issue... have you tried uninstalling Ryzen Master completely and do your OCing only from your BIOS?

I didn't have Ryzen master installed in the first place and I highly doubt it'll make a difference if I uninstall it now because it's just BIOS that doesn't even let me go past that point if I touch the settings. Guess I have to wait for gigabyte's response which takes a month per response..

Bought a Ryzen 5 3600 recently with B450 Aorus Elite and I couldn't OC 3600 no matter what settings I touch in BIOS. I tried multiple BIOS versions aswell,around 4 different and I got the same results.

When I do boot up the PC with stock settings,it allows me to OC thru Ryzen Master without any issues,even as down as 1.25V on 4.3GHz (I currently run 1.25V on 4.25) but if I even touch clock speed in BIOS it just doesn't want to boot up. I tried giving it +0.200V in dynamic vcore but it still didn't want to boot up either way.
I contacted ggb support but it's hella slow so I'm trying to ask the community.
Current bios: F52 (Agesa 1.0.0.6) Amd cool option and C2 are disabled. Also have LC-CC-120 cooler,no temp issues,never saw it go above 70° in cinebench,around 40° in idle,50-62° games @4.25
when you 'overclock' to 4.3 @ 1.25V in RyzenMaster...have you run HWInfo64 to see what the STI2-TFN core voltage is? That's the true core voltage the CPU cores are seeing, not just what the VRM is reporting (which could be way off after Vdroop).

Have you done a clear CMOS? preferably after each one of those BIOS changes. But right now is just fine. BIOS updating doesn't always leave settings logical to the screen and a CMOS clear will fix that.

GB's 'dynamic vcore' never made sense to me, I really just wish my board had had an 'offset' VCore adjustment like everyone else (that's why I pitched it for MSI, btw). One thing I recall, I had to pump it up a LOT higher than I thought I should to get the same STI2-TFN core voltage that I was getting when Ryzenmaster does it. That would suggest you're being too cautious with whatever you're setting it to so it just crashes out in POST.

In the end though it's better to not overclock that way. You're probably just going to make a lot more heat and actually degrade performance in light processing loads, i.e., gaming.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020
@drea.drechsler STI2-TFN 1.25V when gaming/idle,when I stress it STI2 drops down to 1.237 - 1.244V.

I did clear CMOS once but I didn't do it after each of BIOS changes. What are you suggesting,to clear CMOS after I apply the settings or am I getting this wrong?

Yeah,gigabyte's dynamic bs is absolutely unwanted and still don't get the idea behind it. I wanted an MSI aswell but it was out of stock and I needed to buy the PC asap because of work and there was only couple of gigabyte ones and some bad Asrock B450s and some other B350s.

It's not really much for overclocking as it is for lowering voltage with stable clock (for me). I'm bottlenecked by gpu (1060) in some cases anyway so OC'ing cpu won't help that anyway but when it comes to work,some of that extra clock speed does help since my cpu has higher utilization while I'm working then when I'm gaming.. Lol.
Appreciate the response tho

I did clear CMOS once but I didn't do it after each of BIOS changes. What are you suggesting,to clear CMOS after I apply the settings or am I getting this wrong?
It's not really much for overclocking as it is for lowering voltage with stable clock (for me).
Just to be sure and clear CMOS after the BIOS update and before starting to make settings changes.

You might be interested in 1Usmus' new Ryzen utility...CTR or ClockTuner for Ryzen. It will help find some optimized settings for Ryzen. Not really overclocks either, but a stable clock at a low, safe voltage.

The neat thing is it makes use of RyzenMaster resident service (you have to have RM installed and accept the license before using it). It will run through some stability tests (using Prime95) to determine an optimized clock at 1.275V. It will lower clock at a low voltage until it's perfectly stable. If it is never unstable, it will raise clocks until it finds instability then back down to the last stable. And then, before/after benchmarks (using Cinebench 20) for you to decide if the clock setting is to your liking.

If you want to push it, you can change the reference voltage to greater than 1.275V. But that is seriously not advised as veteran overclockers are advising anything over 1.2V fixed could be asking for early degradation

Once you've decided on optimized settings you can configure a profile and then have that profile load at every start of Windows. That's probably one of the coolest things; you don't have to use BIOS at all to 'overclock' and it's using Ryzenmaster's services to do it with!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020
@drea.drechsler I'll try clearing CMOS and re-doing everything. I'm highly doubt it'll change but it's probably worth a try.

For the things below. I'm not interested because it takes hours of tweaking and I'm really not interested into some heavy overclocking nor getting much of a performance boost at the moment. When I upgrade gpu/psu I might research tho. It has built in settings to test on cinebench from what I know and since you gotta run it aprox 10-20 times.. It takes.. a lot of time.
Like said,my current chip is fine,1.25V@4.25 is just enough for my current needs I just wish I don't have to struggle so much with BIOS and re-apply settings every single boot via 3rd party software. I know,Ryzen master has a similar stress for the stability aswell. Not perfect but gives you enough.

For the thing below,I'll research a bit more when I get the components mentioned above.

And for the last part,that's definitly something I'll look into,especially if it applies settings without me having to run programs and wait every time. I've seen some videos about it,Linus has one if I'm not mistaken.

For the things below. I'm not interested because it takes hours of tweaking and I'm really not interested into some heavy overclocking nor getting much of a performance boost at the moment.
That's the point of CTR...it won't chain you to hours of tuning and testing. It only takes maybe 20-30 minutes and it does the whole thing. It's not going to give you a performance boost, either, if you use it's default settings.

I feel the best thing is the profiles for applying settings at each re-start. If I was 'overclocking' I would definitely prefer it to BIOS.

Linus' video brought the best application for it: tuning a Threadripper system. It's forte is finding the optimum stable point for each of the CCX's and CCD's in a system. That was very tedious on TR with all the chiplets they can have. It takes it a while to do it though...luckily it's a lot faster on a CPU with only one CCD / 2 CCX's to optimize.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 30, 2020
@drea.drechsler I'll definitly take a look at it but I'm gonna take it slow cus I wanna see if I can handle this mobo situation and after that I def. gotta upgrade my PSU before I start doing dumb ... with voltage

Last edited: