Can't open CMD on my User... but can on added guest??

Feb 17, 2018
Hello internet. So I've had an issue for some time with the following
a) Unable to open command prompt (opens for a flicker, then vanishes)
b) Computer can't read from substitution paths like Z:

However if I add a new user or guest and load into that, I CAN do these things. I don't know enough about computers to replicate this success for my main user account.

In order to fix this I've researched and done the following;
Run everything as admin
Ensured that my Windows/System32 has 'subst.exe'
Made sure my Path has c:/windows/system32 etc.
Checked registries (can't do group because I'm on home premium)

The registries tripped me up somewhat since I do not have a Policy/Microsoft/System folder in there at all, and no DisableCMD option in there. I don't understand registries either, so this was me following google.

My only other thought is trying to repair from the install disk, but since I discovered other user accounts don't have this problem I wonder if there is an easier way? Sorry I can't describe the problem too elegantly but I don't really understand what's happening.

Solution
Changing permissions and denying access certain parts of the OS is one of the most common things malware does. I'd just reinstall. Who knows what else it did to your permissions and registry.
Feb 17, 2018

While this is a practical solution it doesn't tell me WHY it's happening which is what I want solved, in case it happens again and/or is a problem with my programs or install.

Feb 17, 2018

- Yes, either way it gives the same result
- No, it doesn't work in safe mode either
- Sfc blinks then disappears, doesn't work

jr9

Estimable
Sounds like your permissions are screwed up. That or malware is stopping you from opening cmd on that account or damaged your Windows install. Try directly by clicking on it in system32 or using run -> cmd /K

If that doesn't work I'd try Powershell or Powershell in safe mode. If you can open powershell, run sfc /scannow.

Feb 17, 2018

cmd /k didn't work so yeah I think I'll try Powershell when I get home . Possibly the leftovers of some malware that I cleaned out YEARS ago.

jr9

Estimable
Changing permissions and denying access certain parts of the OS is one of the most common things malware does. I'd just reinstall. Who knows what else it did to your permissions and registry.

Solution