Can't open ports. (Thomson TG789vn)

DatGuyYeah

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Hi

Yesterday I bought myself a nice CCTV IP camera with NVR. Got it all working on local network, but I would also like to have remote access to my cameras. Followed some tutorials, looks like I have to open some ports. I'm trying to open ports 80 and 37777, but with no success at all.. I called my ISP and they said, that on their behalf ports are open. So, I went to my router config. and forwarded two ports under "Game & Application Sharing". But as I go to check ex. http://www.canyouseeme.org/ or http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ , I get "Connection timed out" or "Port 80 or 37777 is closed on **.**.**.***". I made both, Inbound and Outbound rules on my firewall, also tried disabling it. My router firewall is also disabled.

I have been trying to get this working for almost 2 days straight now. I'm tired and almost ready to quit and pay some company 50€ just for 5 min work. I need to get this sorted asap, and without any extra costs.

Thank you in advance

Solution

Firstly, you should immediately remove the IP address (84.x.x.x) from your post, as it could be used for malicious purposes to access your network.

I'd recommend...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Firstly, you should immediately remove the IP address (84.x.x.x) from your post, as it could be used for malicious purposes to access your network.

I'd recommend using something other than port 80 as the external port. Even though your ISP is telling you that port is open, it's commonly blocked by ISPs to prevent users from operating a web server. You can keep 80 as the internal port for the NVR.

Were you able to select the NVR when configuring port forwarding on the Thomson? It's preferrable to set a static IP for the NVR, but I'm not sure if this will prevent the Thomson from seeing this as a selectable device in forwarding. As long as it appears in your forwarding table, assume it's fine.

Don't get too concerned if the ports don't show up as "open" on port checking sites. Just be sure there is not another router between the Thomson and the NVR.

Not sure if you are using a remote app or are trying to access the NVR directly through the web service, but I would recommend concentrating solely on the web access before configuring mobile apps or other remote clients.

Remember, you'll be accessing the web service using the IP address and port (12.34.56.789:xxxx, with xxxx being the external port you've configured), and you won't be able to access via IP from the same network as your NVR. I've found that using a URL instead of an IP address allows testing from within the home network. I'd recommned using a dynamic DNS service in the event that your public IP address changes in any case.

Solution