Question Can't output video to dock using DisplayPort to USB -C

supaluminus

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2016
This isn't my ideal setup, but right now I have some work-from-home equipment which includes two HDMI monitors fed by a StarTech DK30 dock (product page below). In its intended use case, the dock takes a USB-C input from my work laptop and feeds a signal to my monitors. Works like a charm.

When I'm off the clock, I connect my personal desktop to one of the work monitors. The way I have it set up, I have to reach behind the monitor and swap out the dock cable for the one from my desktop and vice versa.

Instead of HDMI from my desktop, what I thought I'd do is use a DisplayPort to USB-C cable to feed video from my desktop to the dock just like my work laptop does. The problem is that I can't seem to get a signal.

I'm wondering if this is a compatibility issue, a bad cable, or what, but so far I'm coming up blank.

Possible key detail here: the laptop outputs USB-C directly to the dock, which I grant is different from taking my desktop's DisplayPort and feeding it to the dock's USB-C. If the problem is simply that the dock can take a straight USB-C signal and output to HDMI but NOT do the same with a DisplayPort feed to its USB-C input, I suppose that wouldn't be the strangest thing in the world to me. It's just that I've seen other setups where people run DisplayPort to USB-C via dock and output video with no problem. Granted, I think they also output to their monitors via DisplayPort - I haven't found any examples online of configurations exactly like mine.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

The dock:

The cable:

Last edited:

supaluminus

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2016
Most USB-C to DisplayPort adapters can't be used for DisplayPort to USB-C, they are one direction only. You need a bidirectional adapter to use it in this configuration.
My adapter is bidirectional. Link below:

CableCreation 8K Bi-Directional USB C to DisplayPort Cable 6FT [HDR, 8K@60Hz, 4K@144Hz, 2K@240Hz] DP 1.4 to Type C Cable, Compatible with Thunderbolt 3/4, iPhone 15/15 Pro Max, MacBook Pro/Air, iPad

https://a.co/d/hGMIwJR