Can't OVERCLOCK AMD FX 4100, with asrock 990 extreme3.

Hunter23

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I go into BIOS, ive tried manual, and CPU OC mode, ive set it way above 3600mhz, im trying to get 4700mhz ive seen people do it, but when i save and exit my screen goes black and wont show up, so i turn it off and restart it, all my settings are saved but it STILL sits at 3600mhz, I CANT GET IT TO OVERCLOCK, i have read everywhere and cant find a solution, PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME, im so aggrivated. My pc specs>
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-4100 25 °C
Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 777MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 (CPUSocket) 46 °C
Graphics
SONY TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 40 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C
1863GB LaCie Rugged THB USB3 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 31 °C
400MB Dataram, Inc. RAMDiskVE (RAM Disk)
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma

indiferenc

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
there a some setting you might need to disable/enable: cool n quite (disable), turbo boost (disable), load line calibration (extreme)
cant remember the others. best bet is to keep doing research. or post over at overclockers.net
ocing your cpu is not easy

Hunter23

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
ive disabled all you mentioned except load line. ugh, thanks man.

indiferenc

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

so are you trying to do this on a stock heat sink? and are you upping the voltage when you do this? you cant just set the multiplier to that high over your stock speed and think its going to be ok. not trying to be rude, just need to see how much you know about over clocking.

Hunter23

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

no man its fine! im a dumbass when it comes to OC , i have NO CLUE.

indiferenc

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

its going to be hard for anyone to give you a magic formula for getting your cpu OCed. your mobo, ram, cpu all come into play with their own variables. two of the exact same cpu will oc differently. with this being the case, the best way to get the best overclock is to do the googling, the research, and the trial-and-error. it took me a year or so to finally get my fx 6300 to a stable 4.5, just doing a little research here and there on my own.

first, if you want to do any serious overclocking (or ANY for that matter), you need to buy an after market cpu air cooler (or water cooler, if you want to go crazy). the fan favorite are the hyper 212 variants. it doesnt look like you have one from your specs list.

the "basics" of over clocking your cpu is all about trial and error. in your mother board bios, you need to increase the cpu mulitplier by 1 unit (which is usually .5? idk) and then restart, then run prime95 for 30 minutes to an hour and look for errors. you also need to watch your temps. you should be able to increase your multiplier a few until you start getting errors. when you start getting errors, you need to increase your cpu voltage. dont ness with the northbridge or anything else. you increase your voltage a few ticks, and see if the errors go away. rinse and repeat

however, since your on the stock cooler, moving your voltage up even a little is going to send your temps high. your peak temps need to stay below 65-70C (or whatever AMD says is safe for your chip). this is why you get another cooler.

if you start raising voltage, and your temps get toward 65C, and you still cant get stable, you have probably reached your limit. getting a better cooler may or may not help this, as it will let you get higher voltages at lower temps, but your chip could just be maxed out. like i said, they are all different.

there are a few other options in the bios that need to be tweaked, like the ones i mentioned earlier. i cant remember exactly what they are, so i will try to look when i get home (but im using an fx 6300, so they might be different)

hope this helps. good luck