Question Cant overclock ram anymore after bios update

Hiper1995

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Hello, i have a B550 tomahawk with x2 8gb patriot 3200 cl16 sticks.

I updated the bios to the latest version, and now i cant overclock my ram anymore, i tried to revert to the old bios and the issue persists.

My ram overclock was from 3200 cl16 to 3600 cl16? ( not sure it was cl16, i just selected 3600 without touching the timings and it seemed to work fine for around 1 year).

Now i cant even overclock to 3400, even with using 1.36volts for The ram, if I try to run memtest it catches errors în 5 seconds.
My only solution now is to run the ram at 3200 Cl16 with Xmp profile.

Question: is there any difference în performance for a ryzen 5 5600x, playing at 1440p, to have my ram downgraded like this to 3200 from 3600? Like is it even worth it to spend time to test timings, and stress myself to overclock it?

That is strange it won't work even with the bios rollback.

Memory speed is well behind gpu and cpu in its effects. It greatly depends on the game. Most games are going to be gpu bound at 1440p. That is why you see them always test at 1080p when they do cpu and memory tuning benchmarks.
How useful that number really is is hard to say. Does it really matter it went from say 300 to 310 when the monitor can't even display 1/2 that. Of course if it is GPU bound then the benchmarks show nothing.
Now there are those on this forum that claim they are superman and can see 1fps difference without the numbers on the screen. For most people it is really hard to tell the difference memory makes and that is on 1080p.
If you are running 1400 or higher with the setting turned up the GPU will likely cap the rates well before you can see any difference in memory. But there might be some game it makes a difference.

Hello, i have a B550 tomahawk with x2 8gb patriot 3200 cl16 sticks.

I updated the bios to the latest version, and now i cant overclock my ram anymore, i tried to revert to the old bios and the issue persists.

My ram overclock was from 3200 cl16 to 3600 cl16? ( not sure it was cl16, i just selected 3600 without touching the timings and it seemed to work fine for around 1 year).

Now i cant even overclock to 3400, even with using 1.36volts for The ram, if I try to run memtest it catches errors în 5 seconds.
My only solution now is to run the ram at 3200 Cl16 with Xmp profile.

Question: is there any difference în performance for a ryzen 5 5600x, playing at 1440p, to have my ram downgraded like this to 3200 from 3600? Like is it even worth it to spend time to test timings, and stress myself to overclock it?
Was the ram really running at 3600 speed?
Without some perf numbers from that speed I don't know how you could tell if there has been a perf drop now at 3200 speed.

Hiper1995

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Was the ram really running at 3600 speed?
Without some perf numbers from that speed I don't know how you could tell if there has been a perf drop now at 3200 speed.
I dont know if I sustained a perf drop or not, i changed the Gpu also and did a bios update Mostly for resizable bar support.. So i got nothing to compare, just a though that i am losing a bit of performance because i cant Oc the ram anymore to 3600 and im forced to use it stock, at 3200

I dont know if I sustained a perf drop or not, i changed the Gpu also and did a bios update Mostly for resizable bar support.. So i got nothing to compare, just a though that i am losing a bit of performance because i cant Oc the ram anymore to 3600 and im forced to use it stock, at 3200
3600 with higher timings vs 3200 with lower timings is kind of a wash.

Without some numbers from when you could select 3600 I don't know how you can tell if you went up or down.

TRENDING THREADS