[SOLVED] Can't ping my public ip adress

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2018
Hi guys I have a bit of a problem.
I can't ping my public ip adress both from inside the network and outside of it. I tried looking through my router setting but couldn't find anything that might be blocking me. I can however ping other people's public ip addresses.
Any help would be appreciated

Solution
Yes there are large block of IP addresses that start with 100 that was designated exactly for this application. They are called carrier nat ip..even though they are really just another block of private ip.

you pretty much have no hope. The ISP would have to offer a actual IP. Some do for a extra cost and some do not offer it at all.
Some routers have options to not respond to ping. You would have to find it and enable it. The ISP could also be blocking ping. You can not ping your public ip from inside unless the router has a very specail feature called hairpin nat. Hard to say the manufacture does not document if the router has this or not many times

May 5, 2018
I use alcatel link hub router and I haven't found any option to block ping or unblock it.
Bniknafs9 where can i find that ip, i dont remember seeing it anywhere on my pc

That was not what I expected. The device you linked is a LTE mobile broadband router. Most mobile broadband providers do not give you a public IP. They tend to share the ip between many users using carrier nat.

There should be a ip displayed in the WAN part of your router. If that IP is different than sites like whatsmyip show you will never be able to ping the public ip because it is shared

I don't know much about that box. It obviously has to have some kind of ip address if you can use it to access the internet. I though pretty much all devices displayed the wan ip.

It just makes it hard to confirm if the ISP is running NAT or not. It is very common for mobile broadband to run NAT. Some ISP charge extra to get a you a public IP. If you can't find the wan ip address I would call your ISP and ask them if they provide public or private ip to the router. If they don't know ask for another tech that knows what those words mean.

May 5, 2018
I have nat options like dmz upnp and portforwarding
Can that "WAN part" ip adress be somthing like 100.*.*.*? I found it on the start of my router page and its different from public ip

Yes there are large block of IP addresses that start with 100 that was designated exactly for this application. They are called carrier nat ip..even though they are really just another block of private ip.

you pretty much have no hope. The ISP would have to offer a actual IP. Some do for a extra cost and some do not offer it at all.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.