Can't reboot after DDR3 installation

rty945

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Hi everyone (first time here),

I know this question have been asked before, and I did try some of the previous suggestion solutions, when I understood them, but here we go again:

I've got a new DDR3 4GB RAM, but when I install it, the computer won't boot, and I see nothing but a black screen. The computer does get power, there's no beep, and everything works fine when I use my old DDR2 cards instead.

More Details:
- Windows 7, 32 bit
- MB: ASRock G41C-GS
- New RAM: Kingston KVR13N9S8/4
http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR13n9s8_4.pdf
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2327.0 MHz

The computer currently works with 2 DDR2s, but when I installed the DDR3 I took them out.

I have tried:
- Updating the BIOS
- Clearing the CMOS
- Changing the position of the FSB1 jumper, as suggested in the MB manual (ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/G41C-GS.pdf, page 22)
- Using either one of the DDR3 slots.

Anything else?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Your new DRAM isn't compatible, it's a single rank module using large memory ICs (higher density) that aren't compatible with older chipsets like the G41. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

ctsvette

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
That Kingston DDR3 needs 1.5V and DDR2 800 generally uses 1.8V or more, so it might be getting too much voltage, especially if you manually overclocked it at some point in the past.

rty945

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Thank you both for the quick answers. I was afraid it was an incompatibility issue. This is disappointing, but at least I won't be wasting any more time on that.