Can't remove stickiness from keys, help.

the_bears

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
Hey guys.

I recently did a full keyboard cleanup of all dust , debris , chips crumbs etc... and I noticed some of the keys were sticky.

After following Ripsters guide here(http://imgur.com/a/9sHx7) and after I let my keyboard dry from the hot water trick, some of the keys have been fixed but majority of them are now either still sticky like they were before or are even more sticky (I don't get how this happened ?)

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me fix this, as I have run out of ideas of what to do ?

Thanks in forward.

Solution
Guessing they had some gunk on them that, once wet, clumped together and got stickier. Also, some industrial lubricants will get gummy once they get wet because they can absorb water. If that's the case, they may improve once the keyboard finishes drying. It can take several days for keyboards to fully dry, even in relatively warm, low humidity rooms.

Unfortunately, you're in a position where everything takes time. You can see if it gets better over time because of drying. You can try washing it again to see if it helps with clumping. Or you could try a mild solvent if it turns out to be the lubricants becoming permanently sticky, but that should be a last resort since it can destroy some circuit boards.
Guessing they had some gunk on them that, once wet, clumped together and got stickier. Also, some industrial lubricants will get gummy once they get wet because they can absorb water. If that's the case, they may improve once the keyboard finishes drying. It can take several days for keyboards to fully dry, even in relatively warm, low humidity rooms.

Unfortunately, you're in a position where everything takes time. You can see if it gets better over time because of drying. You can try washing it again to see if it helps with clumping. Or you could try a mild solvent if it turns out to be the lubricants becoming permanently sticky, but that should be a last resort since it can destroy some circuit boards.

Solution

Latest posts