[SOLVED] Can't reset windows 10

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
So after a couple of months, I thought it was time to reset windows on my PC. I've done this many times without problems, but this time it fails every time.

Before I tried to reset windows I moved some of my files I wanted to keep to my hard drive and then unplugged it. I restarted and only had my SSD connected to my pc. The first time I tried to do a clean reset of windows again it was stuck at 1% in Windows, but when I restarted my machine and tried again everything went fine. Until my pc rebooted and was doing:
Startup-4.jpg

This goes on for until about 30% and then a blue screen appears saying that something went wrong and that I can't reset windows, no changes have been made.
I think that it has something with my hard drive to do but I'm not sure. All windows files were installed on my SSD.

Last edited:
Solution
are you booting from a USB and doing a clean format and re-install?
if windows has the UEFI locked and is only booting the SSD you can reconnect the HDD, see if windows boots, shutdown the system so you can boot to USB :
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21756-boot-usb-drive-windows-10-pc.html
insert the USB and reboot using the first directions. when it shuts down for the reboot cut the power and disconnect the HDD, windows should now allow you to boot to the USB and install windows.

did you have both connected when you last installed windows? if so the likely scenario is:
windows has a nasty habit of putting needed boot files on another drive, in this case the HDD which is disconnected.
windows cannot boot and is attempting...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if windows has the UEFI locked and is only booting the SSD you can reconnect the HDD, see if windows boots, shutdown the system so you can boot to USB :
insert the USB and reboot using the first directions. when it shuts down for the reboot cut the power and disconnect the HDD, windows should now allow you to boot to the USB and install windows.

did you have both connected when you last installed windows? if so the likely scenario is:
windows has a nasty habit of putting needed boot files on another drive, in this case the HDD which is disconnected.
windows cannot boot and is attempting to locate/repair said boot files.

Solution

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018

windows cannot boot and is attempting to locate/repair said boot files.
I'm trying to do a reset via windows, I think if you search for reset in windows it should come up.
reset-options.jpg

Basically looks like this

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
was the HDD installed when you installed windows?
the files for a reset may well be on the HDD. those files are stored on a partition on the drive and windows will put that on another drive to make room for the assumed small SSD's that were common upon its release. it was a handy feature when 128GB was a massive SSD. now its a pain in the donkey.