Can't restore Asus K52f-BBR5 laptop with restore DVDs

Hawaiian Steak

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I have an Asus K52f-BBR5 laptop. The original hard drive had the click of death and was discarded. I did make the restoration/recover DVDs (3 total) when I first got the computer, and made a second copy of that set.

I had an old 320GB hard drive from my mom's Compaq CQ62-423NR after I upgraded the drive to a 1TB drive. The old 320GB drive was used in an external case. It was working up until I removed it from the external case to use as a replacement for the Asus K52F.

I installed the 320GB into the Asus and put the first restore DVD. I made sure in BIOS that the optical drive was #1 in boot priority (it was). The 320GB was listed as #2. After exiting BIOS it booted from the disc with a prompt warning me that the drive will be erased. I clicked "yes" to proceed.

I followed the prompts on when to insert the #2 and #3 discs. After the third disc a prompt came up saying it was successful. I took the third disc out and clicked "OK". The computer rebooted to a black screen with "Reboot and select proper boot device."

I tried using a Windows 10 DVD I made from Microsoft's downloadable ISO as I read you can use the existing Windows 7 key. After entering the key and checking the "I agree" box it said "We couldn't find any drives".

I ended up buying a 240GB Patriot Ignite SSD and tried the Windows 10 route. After checking the "I agree" box it went to the next screen and listed the Patriot drive. I canceled and figured since the drive was noticed I'll just go use the Asus restore discs. I went through the process twice using both sets of restore discs and still got the "Reboot and select proper boot device" message.

I then decided to go the Windows 10 route since it saw the Patriot Ignite the first time. After the "I agree" screen it said "We couldn't find any drives".

I tried changing the SATA port from AHCI (default) to IDE and that didn't work either.

Both the 320GB and the Patriot Ignite were listed in BIOS.

I'm sure it's something simple I overlooked but I want to throw this thing against an immoveable object right now!

Hawaiian Steak

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

No joy. Still ends up at the "reboot and select proper boot device" screen.

I put the 320GB back into the external case and on my desktop I did "Run", then entered "compmgmt.msc", then into "Disk Management". I found the drive and it was listed as empty with 298GB of 298GB as I expected since I did a quick format before trying to use the drive in the Asus K52F. I deleted the volume so that the disk was all unallocated space. I put the drive back in and after 35 minutes of installation with the 3 restore discs I still got the "reboot and select proper boot device" screen.

I then took the drive out and put it back in the external case and did a format on my desktop. Previously I just formatted it without changing the 4096 sector allocation. This time I chose the default settings when I formatted it. Put the drive back in the Asus and tried the 3 restore discs and got the "reboot and select proper boot device". I then tried the Windows 10 disc and still got the "we couldn't find any drives" message.

I took the 320GB back out and put it back in my mom's Compaq CQ62-423NR and used the 4 restore discs I made from that laptop and it worked fine with the Compaq back to its factory state so the drive does work.

I will try some other stuff later when I have time as every attempt to restore takes 35-40 minutes before the 3rd/last restore disc is ejected.

Hawaiian Steak

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
UEFI was disabled in BIOS but enabling it had no effect. Local laptop repair place has a flat fee of $89.99 to work on it. That's my last resort at this point. Will try to see if any of my acquaintances have other hard drives for me to try. Next thing to try will be the clean command that I saw somewhere and will have to read up on.

Hawaiian Steak

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
A friend let me borrow her Toshiba 500GB 5400rpm 2.5" hard drive. The Asus restore DVDs went through and after the final disc the computer restarted with "Starting Windows" screen with the colored dots. Then an error window popped up saying something along the lines of "Windows was unable to configure the hardware" (not exact words). It did the same thing with the second set of Asus restore discs.

The local computer repair shop quoted me a flat fee of $89.99 to fix it but I'd rather put that towards a new laptop. I give up.

Hawaiian Steak

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
No, the restore disks are from my Asus. It only let me make them once, so I took the discs I made and copied them.

The Toshiba is the brand of hard drive I borrowed from my friend. I was trying to be detailed but I think I just added to the confusion. Sorry!

So in short, the original 500GB hard drive that came in my Asus failed. I didn't mention before but I restored the Asus twice before when it was acting up but looking back it was probably because the original hard drive was failing.

Hawaiian Steak

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I sorta have good news. The Windows 10 64-bit ISO that I downloaded from Microsoft and burned to DVD worked with the Toshiba 500GB hard drive. While installing it asked for a product key. I used the Windows 7 key on the bottom of the Asus and the installation continued and finished. The resolution on the screen was initially squished but after a restart everything looks good. I texted my friend that her hard drive worked and we made a deal. The Toshiba 500GB hard drive that she lent me is now mine in exchange for the Patriot Ignite 240GB SSD.

I'm still annoyed that the restore discs or Windows 10 didn't work with the 320GB hard drive from my mom's Compaq or the Patriot Ignite SSD. I still want to find out why I couldn't get them to work with either drive. At least the Asus is up and running.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3050740/asus-boards-kb3133977-auto-updates-big-problems.html