Question Can't run any programs without administrator.

Aug 16, 2019
So when I try to run any program it doesn't open, but when I use "run as administrator" some of them opens... Can't even open task manager without using "run as administrator" Does anyone know how to fix this?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
No insult intended, I just really have to check this first: Are you logged in with an account that has administrator privileges?

If you are, then you should certainly be able to invoke Task Manager without needing to use run as administrator.

What follows is my standard script for addressing issues that indicate that something is wrong with the Windows 10 installation on a machine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

I never choose the thermonuclear option, the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.

Aug 16, 2019
Yes, I have administrator privileges. It worked fine yesterday but today this happened. I tried all of those but "clean install" don't really wanna reinstall everything. I've also scanned for viruses using Bitdefender.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, sadly I have nothing else for you.

I have generally found that a repair install fixes virtually anything that can be fixed. If that doesn't work, then, and only then, will I resort to a clean install.

Not to rub salt in an open wound, but this situation presents another teachable moment regarding just how essential it is to have an external backup drive and a regular backup protocol for full system images as well as separate user data backups. There are times like this where you will be faced with either doing a completely clean install or, if you have one, recovering from the last full system image backup you took when the system was known to be in good working order. The latter is far less painful and time consuming, and if you snag your latest user data prior to doing so then restoring what you created after that last full system image was taken is a cinch, too.

If you don't have an external backup drive, after you resolve this I strongly suggest you get one and take both full system image and separate user data backups at intervals that make sense for you. In my case I take full system image backups of my systems monthly (or on demand on those occasions where I've been installing a lot of software that I'd prefer not to have to reinstall) and user data backups using Windows 10 File History about once per week (or more frequently if I've been creating scads of new files).

Having those things prevents a world of hurt and time and effort when the occasional "mystery mess that just can't be fixed" occurs.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Actually, I do have one more suggestion: Create a new account with admin privileges on the machine and see if things work normally under that account. Create it initially as a local account, not a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 User Account.

If they do, then port your user data over under that new account. If your existing Windows 10 user account is linked to a Microsoft Account, after you've ported what you need then delete that account. After deleting the old MS Account Linked account, then change the local account to Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead under Settings, Accounts, Your Info Pane. You just link that account to your Microsoft Account instead.

There are times when profile corruption can cause stuff like this, and I hadn't considered that until just now.