[SOLVED] Can't see IP camera on PC

Ojivar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi all. I have a new Yi Home IP Camera, I can see it on the app on my phone and on the PC but I cannot figure out how to access it using software (so I can record it to hard drive).
I can ping the IP address but cannot access it via a browser.
I'm thinking the issue may be that the camera is connected to the router via wifi and the pc is connected by ethernet cable.
I have tried various ways to see the camera but it doesn't show up on any of them
Any suggestions?
Many thanks

Solution
Regarding: " no wireless devices show up on the pc network (phones, laptop etc)"

What software tool are you using to look for network devices via the PC? On a networked computer you can use nmap to find network devices or the more easily used GUI tool Zenmap.

Reference link: https://supportcommunity.milestonesys.com/s/article/using-Zenmap-and-netstat?language=en_US

Likely a configuration issue.

For example, there is usually a setting that limits the number of connected devices to some value = "X". If you have "X+1" devices then no go....

Take a look at the overall network connectivity and assigned device IP addresses. Connect all devices wired and wireless and map it out.

Your router's admin screens should provide a...

Ralston18

Titan
Did you download and install the necessary YiHome software on your computer?

Most likely you will need to install the software and then configure the software to "find" the camera on your home network via the camer's IP (static), its name (if so configured during setup), or its' MAC.

It appears that you did indeed set up an IP address. Is that IP address static and reserved on the router for the camera via the camera's MAC?

The assigned static IP address should also be outside of the DHCP IP address range allowed to the router.

You may also need to use port forwarding so the software will know where the camera's output is to be found and processed accordingly.

Connectivity/line diagram: correct?

Yi Home IP Camera ~~~~ wireless ~~~~> router [LAN] ---- ethernet cable ------->[LAN port] computer and/or ~~~~ wireless to phone.

Phone must also have the necessary software to view and record output from camera.

Ojivar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Thanks for answering. Yes I do have the Yi Home software on PC and Phone, both find the camera no problem but the software is very limited and doesn't have any recording options.

The IP address was automatically assigned, I believe I can make it static through the router settings, is this something I should do? I should say when logging into the router I can see the camera is there. so the issue seems to be accessing it from the iSpy software.

I also have a USB camera connected directly to the PC, this is picked up by iSpy no problem.

Config Tool doesn't find any devices whatsoever which seems weird.

Your diagram of connections is correct.

Ralston18

Titan
I recommend setting up a static IP for the camera.

Otherwise the software will not or would not know what IP look for/use when camera output is sought for viewing or recording. If the camera's IP is assigned dynamically (via DHCP) then the IP is likely to keep changing.

You have to configure the camera with a static IP and then establish that static iP within the router via the camera's MAC.

Do you have the camera's User Guide/Manual and the same for your router? Router make & model?

Ojivar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

The router is EE Smart Hub, I can access the hub via a browser which has the option to "always use this ip address" under the settings for the camera. Will this make it static?
The camera is a Yi Home, I have the manual but it only tells you how to connect using the android app.

Ralston18

Titan
Check the following link:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Help-about-set-reserved-IP-address-and-port-fowarding-in-EE/td-p/705774

About halfway "down" there is a posting about setting a Reserved IP address.

As for the cameral manual, doublecheck YiHome's website. There should be a separate manual for PC (Window) setups.

Or software for Windows.

I found the following link:

https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-720p-home-firmware

Firmware downloads: however, at the bottom of the link is a blue button "Download for Windows". Executable file name includes "PCClient"

There are also some "flag" icons on the right side of the webpage. You may or may not need to select as applicable.

Ojivar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Thanks for this, I am not sure which ports I need to select when following that page on reserving IP? How do I know which port it is/should be?

I have downloaded that software from Yi and it works fine, can see the camera and record but only allows up to 30 minutes recording which is no use for cctv. I wonder if it is something to do with the pc being on a wired ethernet connection and the camera joining the network via wifi.

This is what the router sees, the first one being the camera so it is reaching the router fine. https://ibb.co/dJF6Z0S
dJF6Z0S

Ralston18

Titan
The documentation should state the required port.

Port may be okay if, as you post, the software can see the camera and record.

However the 30 minute time limit is a function of the supporting software - not the physical connectivity.

Video can consume storage space very rapidly. Hence the software may default to some time limit.

Whether the 30 minute limit can be changed or not should be in the software documentation. Look/read carefully.

Ojivar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Thank you for your help. I have been in touch with the camera manufacturers. They confirmed that you cannot use their pc software to record over 30 minutes but they also said if I use an SD card I can record up to 4 days with an auto replace function.
That works for me as I can still use the software to view the camera live and I can transfer the video from SD to HDD when needed.

I am still perplexed as to why I can't see it on the network but thinking about it no wireless devices show up on the pc network (phones, laptop etc). So I am positive it is an issue with the pc being wired.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding: " no wireless devices show up on the pc network (phones, laptop etc)"

What software tool are you using to look for network devices via the PC? On a networked computer you can use nmap to find network devices or the more easily used GUI tool Zenmap.

Reference link: https://supportcommunity.milestonesys.com/s/article/using-Zenmap-and-netstat?language=en_US

Likely a configuration issue.

For example, there is usually a setting that limits the number of connected devices to some value = "X". If you have "X+1" devices then no go....

Take a look at the overall network connectivity and assigned device IP addresses. Connect all devices wired and wireless and map it out.

Your router's admin screens should provide a listing of all connected network devices be they wired or wireless.

Solution

Ojivar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Thank you, I am installing nmap now and will see what I can figure out.

Feb 27, 2019
First of all, what you need to do now is to scan and find the camera's IP address. There should be monitoring software and cameras from the same vendor.
then. Change the computer's IP address to the same network prefix of the IP camera. This will connect your IP camera to your computer.