Question Can't see my NAS....sort of...... ?

ebickfla

Honorable
Mar 29, 2016
Hi. I have a NAS, that although it is wireless capable, it is in fact hardwired to my switch. I also have two laptops hardwired into that switch. At one time, both laptops could see the NAS without issue. Now, Laptop A can no longer access it, but B still can just fine. If I click on Network in my File Explorer, the device itself will show up, but if I try to open it, it says it can't connect. And of course, all my mapped connections have a red x and don't work on an attempted refresh. Not sure where to look on this. It has happened before, and then at some point in the future, presto, it's back.

I will also mention that at my last two visits to my sister-in-laws (recent) her home network (known to my computer) has not been showing in my list of available networks (on the laptop only. Phone, iPad see it no problem). I have to jump through hoops to get it to see it, but once I do, it connects right away. So.......'sumptins up.

Any help is appreciated,

Ralston18

Titan
Laptop A also being the laptop that has network problems at your sister-in-law's home - correct?

Update your post to include full laptop specs and OS information.

Also verify that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled on the laptop.

Do you have mapped connections to devices on both network?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Do so both on your home network and on your sister-in-law's network.

Double check the IP addresses being using.

ebickfla

Honorable
Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for the response. Your questions led me to the answer.
Ed

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

Laptop A

Bluetooth Network Connection - Not Connected
Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Connection - Disabled
Ethernet - It doesn't say so, but this one is (I believe) the active, enabled connection
Ethernet 4 - Disabled (This was not disabled when I first looked, but it was not connected, it said "unplugged". I disabled it hoping that was the smoking gun, it was, but I didn't discover that until I rebooted.).
Ethernet 6 - Disabled
Wi-Fi - Not Connected

Laptop B

Bluetooth Network Connection - Not Connected
Ethernet - It doesn't say so, but this one is (I believe) the active, enabled connection
Ethernet 2 - Disabled
Wi-Fi - Not Connected

Last edited: