Can't separate Ryzen CPU from Stealth cooler

I tried to remove the cooler and CPU from the motherboard and the CPU got yanked right out of the socket (which was locked, obviously) and it's still stuck to the cooler. The cooler has the original pre-applied paste. Has anyone heard of this before?

Solution
Not good. You need to gently twist the cooler once the screws are removed while the cpu is still locked in the bracket. If that doesnt help can always stress test to heat/soften the paste BEFORE loosening the cooler.

nacs502

Reputable
Oct 2, 2018
same thing happened to my buddy and it was because he used thermal compound and not paste. He got lucky and his pins didn't get messed up. But pretty much we had to just use a toothpick and pried it off as easily as possible.

It happens quite a bit, but at least you now know what happened, why, and how to avoid doing so in the future.
It should be possible to break the seal by twisting the CPU free, use your thumb to apply force on one corner of it, unless the paste has become hard it'll give after a few seconds of sustained pressure.

Thanks for all the help. Twisting the CPU free from the Stealth cooler is what finally worked. If i had known this beforehand i would have twisted the CPU cooler free and not ripped the CPU straight out of the socket. Hopefully this post can help others avoid the same problem.