Can't solve the black screen after login issue. Pls help :(

toastiness

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
Issue: Screen goes black with no cursor several minutes after login. I've tried everything on the following list with no luck. Fresh installation doesn't help either. I've also switched out several monitors and the same thing happens with all of them. I haven't run into the black screen when I'm in safe mode, if that helps.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-black-screen-problems-windows-10

System specs are
Windows 10 Home
Asus Z170-a MOBO
Intel i5-6000k CPU, at 3.50 GHz
Radeon HD 6970
EVGA G2 1000W Power supply
16 gb Corsair DDR4 RAM (8 gb stick x 2)
Seagate HDD 2 Terabytes

After my last HDD died, I upgraded the CPU, MOBO, RAM, and HDD a few months ago... though I've never actually had the opportunity to use it because it's been busted since its inception Would greatly appreciate some help. I'm not very techy and I really don't know what else to do or even how to go forward fixing this.

Solution
Interesting. This is beginning to sound like a GPU problem. Yours is a bit old and may be failing. Try running your monitor from your motherboard I/O (integrated GPU) and see if this problem persists there. If it doesn’t then you need to get a new graphics card.

toastiness

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

Hmmm my disk space is pretty much 100%.

After disabling super fetch and windows search now it's going between 50% and 100%

The processes that are taking up all the disk space keep switching around. Service Host: Local System (2), Antimalware Service Executable, Service Host: Delivery Optimization and System keep switching out from using all the disk space.

Jwpanz

Honorable
Anti malware may be the culprit. Which antivirus do you have? It may run a scan as soon as you log in and disrupt the login process by hogging all of your resources. You can disable the auto scan on login from the settings for your antivirus program.

toastiness

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

Sorry for the long delay. Took a break from trying to fix this issue while I focused on other things.

I have the stock windows defender. I can't run the computer long enough to install anything else . The screen goes black pretty quickly after opening chrome, and almost always goes black as soon as a dialogue box opens prompting a download.

I'm currently trying to use the method in this video to turn off windows defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWTJ0eTl7U

But, funnily enough, as soon as I try to expand the window by dragging the edge to enlarge, my screen goes black. It does this 100% of the time without fail. As soon as I begin to drag, it goes black.

Jwpanz

Honorable
Interesting. This is beginning to sound like a GPU problem. Yours is a bit old and may be failing. Try running your monitor from your motherboard I/O (integrated GPU) and see if this problem persists there. If it doesn’t then you need to get a new graphics card.

Solution