[SOLVED] Can't transfer files to a new external drive

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,

This morning I've plugged in my Asus laptop a new drive Easystore that I bought recently and it has a healthy status in CyrstalDisk. I was transferring a movie file from my computer using MKVToolnix with an audio AC3 file. I got an error message "could not write to the destination file :433 - a device which does not exist was specified). In progress I read "failed" and it's stucked at 98%. In "This PC the drive doesn't appear anymore in "devices and drives" but I still see it connected in the taskbar. In Device Manager - Universal Bus Serial Bus Controllers I see the exclamation point "Unknown USB Device (port reset failed) and in General "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A USB port reset request failed." I don't know what the hell is going on...

Thanks for your help,

Serge

Solution
Returning the drive would be my suggestion based on the "bad sectors" results. However you are already ahead on that...

I did look at the Best Buy product link that you provided. It appears that the drive uses a proprietary connection to provide both data and power via the host computer's USB port.

(Thus ruling out being able to swap in a known working USB cable between the host computer and the WD Easystore.)

If that host computer USB port, for some reason, is not able to keep up with the WD driver's requirements (especially power) then there could be consequential data corruption and the problem just gets worse.

The PS4 may have been able to provide the necessary power and that is why you were, at least initially, able...

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Which model/capacity Easystore drive?

Try the new drive on another known working computer.

If the error continues then the drive has failed.

You can also try WD's diagnostic software on the drive. Download via Western Digital's website.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried it yet with another computer but yesterday evening I watched a movie with that drive connected to my PS4 and it worked. I'm going to run a few tests including the one with WD and will get back to you later.

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
I didn't do the test with WD diagnostic because it would take too long. However I finished the extended test with HDDSCAN and it was completed with no errors. This external drive is new and I just got it two weeks ago. Now I'm going to try transferring files and see what happens.

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried it yet with another computer but yesterday evening I watched a movie with that drive connected to my PS4 and it worked. I'm going to run a few tests including the one with WD and will get back to you later.
Which model/capacity Easystore drive?

Try the new drive on another known working computer.

If the error continues then the drive has failed.

You can also try WD's diagnostic software on the drive. Download via Western Digital's website.

I'm running the extended WD Lifeguard diagnostic now on that drive but I guess it will take a while.... I had the same problem happening yesterday with MKVToolnix when I tried to transfer another movie with an audio file. And this morning when I started my computer I had a blue screen "DCP Watchdog Violation - www.windowstop.code" and two minutes later the login screen of my computer appeared. I turned if off after a while and turned it back on and same blue screen reappeared....

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,

I'm running the extended WD Lifeguard diagnostic now on that drive but I guess it will take a while.... I had the same problem happening yesterday with MKVToolnix when I tried to transfer another movie with an audio file. And this morning when I started my computer I had a blue screen "DCP Watchdog Violation - www.windowstop.code" and two minutes later the login screen of my computer appeared. I turned if off after a while and turned it back on and same blue screen reappeared....

The extended test stopped after two hours and the message "too many bad sectors - failed" , I just bought it two weeks ago... I'm going to have to bring it back to BestBuy.

Ralston18

Titan
Returning the drive would be my suggestion based on the "bad sectors" results. However you are already ahead on that...

I did look at the Best Buy product link that you provided. It appears that the drive uses a proprietary connection to provide both data and power via the host computer's USB port.

(Thus ruling out being able to swap in a known working USB cable between the host computer and the WD Easystore.)

If that host computer USB port, for some reason, is not able to keep up with the WD driver's requirements (especially power) then there could be consequential data corruption and the problem just gets worse.

The PS4 may have been able to provide the necessary power and that is why you were, at least initially, able to watch the movie.

Solution

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017

The PS4 may have been able to provide the necessary power and that is why you were, at least initially, able to watch the movie.

Ok, thanks for all your information. I'm going to return it and try to get a different external drive.