Question Can't turn on XMP profile, PC constantly restarting.

Jan 24, 2023
As soon as i turn on XMP profile for 3200mhz (1,35V), save and reset, the PC enters a cycle of constantly restarting, never once booting correctly. All i can do is enter BIOS again. Any help please?

SPECS:
DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z, 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz. R5 5600X. Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0.

Jan 24, 2023
it's always possible you have some malfunctioned hardware;
bad RAM kit,
damaged DIMM slot(s),
faulty memory controller,
failing power supply, etc...

include your complete system specs in detail.
Thanks for the reply!

Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0(BIOS v 4.10);
DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z, 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz;
AMD R5 5600X (Wraith Spire Cooler);
ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 OC Phoenix, 6GB GDDR5, 192 Bits;
SSD 500 GB WD Blue SN550, M.2;
HDD Seagate 1TB BarraCuda, 3.5';
PSU Corsair CX500 V2.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Matched pair from one package.
I had to clean my memory contacts with a pencil eraser. So did another guy. If you have some canned air and a clean pencil eraser. Rub the contacts gently on both side until the contacts look shiny. Then use canned air and blow the contacts clean so the rubber doesn't get in the sockets. Seems no one knows this anymore. The other guy had a bunch of replies and not a sole seems to know about corrosion. Yes, even brand new out of the box they can be corroded. Especially if someone fingered the contacts and returned them and they were repackaged and sold as new again. It's pretty easy to do and it might fix it. On the other hand extreme memory profiling can be dangerous and you may have destroyed your memory. If you do clean them, don't touch them or the cleaning part of the eraser. And no, contact cleaners don't always get that hard tarnish off. Oxides and contamination came be a tough problem but it seems a good old fashioned scrubbing with the time proven pencil eraser works wonders. Good luck, use anti static practices and gentle pressure working the eraser across those contacts. I had to scrub mine back and forth about 30 times to get them clean. It's been working fine for a month and before I did that it did not boot or was taking a long time to boot. I hope you didn't ruin your memory or corrupt you boot drives data. Have you tried booting to a thumb drive after taking the defaults on the mobo?

Jan 24, 2023
I cleaned the memories contacts with rubber, but nothing changed. The system works normally with XMP Off and with default memory frequency and voltage (2166mhz and 1,2V according to CPU-Z).

Jan 24, 2023
Update to a newer BIOS to see if it can work better. There are 8 newer versions that may have better results.

To determine whether it may be an issue with DRAM, test one module at a time to see if one performs differently.

With XMP enabled, did you happen to try a lower DRAM Frequency to see what can be stable?
Thanks for the reply.
Just did as you said, updated to the latest stable (4.90) and didnt solve it.
I tried lowering the DRAM aswell, all the way down to 2166 (working frequency on auto) and still got the pc shutdown.
Maybe the probpem is the voltage?

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
I'd try and return the ram. The memory compatability of these Ryzens usually tie into the CPU's memory controller. If you can't get the 2nd kit to work you know it's the issue.

Might be worth a shot to bump the frequency up as well, maybe try 3333 or 3400. A 5600 should be able to handle 3600 ram no problem. Maybe it just wants faster memory :)

Assuming you're using the correct slots, 2nd farthest and farthest from the CPU.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I cleaned the memories contacts with rubber, but nothing changed. The system works normally with XMP Off and with default memory frequency and voltage (2166mhz and 1,2V according to CPU-Z).
Worth a try I guess, I don't doubt that mobo can't overclock. Asrock mobo's were cheap at one time. A friend has problems with his, a couple of caps were put in backwards. Not exactly Asus quality. Stability is necessary in order to overclock and capacitors have a lot to do with stability. Maybe AsRock uses high Q capacitors to keep the cost down. Who knows....