[SOLVED] Can't type in start menu search due to unprompted continuous input

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
When I open start menu (either through Windows key on keyboard or by clicking it), there seems to be a continuous input from mouse/keyboard that prevents me from typing in the menu as I usually would.

A moment after the menu opens, a right-lick menu seems to appear, and interferes with typing. The best way to explain what is happening is, if you tried to type while also pressing the right-click menu button on your mouse or key on your keyboard every half a second or so. If I start quickly pressing a key on my keyboard, the typing manages to get through that menu action now and then.

At first I thought this was maybe due to macro commands I have set up in my Razer Synapse, however the issue happens with the software disabled as well.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks after I press the Windows key or click on Start menu.

Solution
People are going to get sick of seeing me post this, but it applies in this case, like so many others:

Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh/Fresh Start or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just a shot in the dark, but did you recently apply optional update KB4512941?

It's causing quite a few issues with search and the start menu. If you did install it, then uninstall it and see if the issues go away.

If you are experiencing unexpected issues immediately or very shortly after any update has been applied, then the first thing you should do is use the Windows 10 built-in capability to uninstall the latest update that’s suspected of causing the issue:

• Open Settings, Update & Security. This should take you to the Windows Update Pane by default.
  • In the Windows Update Pane, locate the View update history control, and activate it.
  • In the View Update History dialog, locate the Uninstall updates link and activate it.
  • In the Installed Updates dialog, the updates will be listed in groupings, with the groups alphabetically ordered, and the items within each group ordered by date – most recently installed first (if no one has changed the defaults). In most cases, you’ll be looking to uninstall a Microsoft Windows update, and those are generally the final group. The number of updates available for uninstalling is shown in parentheses after the Microsoft Windows group name.
  • Almost all Windows Updates will have a KB number associated with them, and if you know that use this as what you search on for the actual update. Select it.
  • Activate the Uninstall button located above the list of updates, and the selected update will be uninstalled.

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
Thanks for the replies.

Have you tried with another mouse ?
Not yet, will do so.

How long have this issue last? What changes did you perform to the computer before this?
I remember it used to happen some months ago and then stopped happening. The only thing I can remember changing is disconnecting some of my other peripherals (a racing wheel and pedals) from USB ports, however I'm not sure if the issue going away exactly coincided with disconnecting those.

Have you tried to completely uninstall mouse driver software and see if that fix the problem?
Not yet, will attempt this as well.

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
Just a shot in the dark, but did you recently apply optional update KB4512941?
I just went through update history (even that is a challenge cause the issue happens with every search field in Windows system windows) and couldn't see that update. And I remember the issue happening in past as well, so probably not connected to update.

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
I just connected another mouse and the issue was still there. Will try uninstalling the original mouse's software and drivers next and see if that changes anything.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
People are going to get sick of seeing me post this, but it applies in this case, like so many others:

Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh/Fresh Start or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File
b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive
c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

I never choose the “thermonuclear option,” the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.

Solution

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
I disconnected my two peripherals (racing wheel and pedals) from USB ports, disconnected and reconnected my keyboard, and the issue went away. So it must be a USB cause - any ideas what it could be and how to troubleshoot?

Last edited:

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
After some more troubleshooting I've solved the problem. One of the switches on my racing wheel was physically malfunctioning, causing it to be on at all times, and that was interfering with system inputs. I disabled the switch in the wheel software and the issue is gone.

Thanks for all the suggestions.