Question Can't uninstall a cumulative update/security update in Windows 10 22H2 is this completely normal?

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
So after finding out about window's recent cumulative update KB5028166 it appeared to have had bugs along with it such as stuttering, slowdowns.
But they are working on a bug fix that will come soon and im waiting for that but the question is "Is it completely normal if i cant uninstall the cumulative update?"

I tried the Uninstall Updates option in Update History and it didnt appear to have a uninstall button but the others do.
And i also tried the command in command prompt "wusa /uninstall /kb:5028166" and it said something along the lines of
(KB5028166) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled. i clicked OK and did not do anything after that.

Did i mess up something or it just didnt allow me to uninstall the update and left Windows 10 harmless and untouched?
I just figured waiting for the next bug fix for the issues to stop and not do anything to my PC since i just did a reinstall on it 18 days ago. lol

And also PC's running fine no said "stuttering nor slowdowns" im just worried if it also had an effect on my PC.

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
Did these "bugs" actually impact your system and use?
Not really, but after looking onto threads about this update i was completely taken aback and anxious.
I've had an history of also getting nervous when it comes to software-related stuff so yeah.. about that.

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
Not really, but after looking onto threads about this update i was completely taken aback and anxious.
I've had an history of also getting nervous when it comes to software-related stuff so yeah.. about that.
Do i still need to update windows 10 and get its hotfix though?

USAFRet

Titan
The thing is....
Across every platform, every device, every OS....every update will have some negative impact on some segment of the user base.
Sometimes a very small segment. But very vocal.

And those are the ones you read about.

It seems you're trying to fix a problem that you never had.

If you wait for a totally bug free OS or update, that never impacts anyone, you might as well drop your PC in a hole and fill it with cement.

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
And about this "I tried the Uninstall Updates option in Update History and it didnt appear to have a uninstall button but the others do.
And i also tried the command in command prompt "wusa /uninstall /kb:5028166" and it said something along the lines of
(KB5028166) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled. i clicked OK and did not do anything after that. Did i mess up something or it just didnt allow me to uninstall the update and left Windows 10 harmless and untouched?"
Am i completely fine? or i mistook it for a safety measure just incase windows wont get corrupted. Im still a amateur when it comes to Windows 10 and software related stuff but hardware-wise abit experienced

USAFRet

Titan
And about this "I tried the Uninstall Updates option in Update History and it didnt appear to have a uninstall button but the others do.
(KB5028166) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled. i clicked OK and did not do anything after that. Did i mess up something or it just didnt allow me to uninstall the update and left Windows 10 harmless and untouched?"
Am i completely fine? or i mistook it for a safety measure just incase windows wont get corrupted.
It just didn't allow the uninstall.

Leave it be.
Your system is fine.

Reactions: stewuie

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
It just didn't allow the uninstall.

Leave it be.
Your system is fine.
And besides that, Windows will still let you know if you uninstalled the update by going thru Update History yeah? it will show along the lines of "Successfully Uninstalled this or that Update?"

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
I believe it does that, yes.
UPDATE: I did a system restore to get the right piece of mind knowing that i didnt do changes yet. And i opened an app called Messenger and it wasnt opening i tried opening it again and it told me "This app can't open" Check the Windows Store for more info about Messenger and i updated it and it's functioning now. Messenger does work after i did check updates. Is this completely normal? i didn't check about the other apps but yeah.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
UPDATE: I did a system restore to get the right piece of mind knowing that i didnt do changes yet. And i opened an app called Messenger and it wasnt opening i tried opening it again and it told me "This app can't open" Check the Windows Store for more info about Messenger and i updated it and it's functioning now. Messenger does work after i did check updates. Is this completely normal? i didn't check about the other apps but yeah.
The Update might have fixed whatever was broken.

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
It was set before i did the wusa /uninstall just to be incase.
Also i cleaned the %temp%, temp, prefetch files and did wsreset. and did ipconfig /flushdns to clear cache but after that as i clicked Disk Cleanup it didnt run i was freaking out and when i restarted everything seem't to be normal restarted again and it didnt come back hopefully. Is my windows corrupted? Did i manage to somehow corrupt it i did sfc /scannow and DISM after that im anxious when something doesnt open sometimes. Im fearing if i did break something or is this just a one-time thing that coincidentally happen same time when i ran disk cleanup.

Last edited: