Can't uninstall any programs - Not enough space on hard drive

Brotuulaan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
I'm trying to uninstall my current antivirus, but it won't uninstall because "there's not enough space" on my hard drive.

Seems dumb, but computers are strange sometimes.

I wondered whether it was unique to that application, so I went to another that I don't use anymore and tried to uninstall it: same thing happened.

So how do I uninstall programs and free up space if I don't have enough space to uninstall programs?! This is friggin' retarded!

Solution
First use CCleaner to remove all the accumulated junk files if you haven't used it recently.

If still not enough space freed up, see if there's anything that can be manually transferred to another drive (eg videos, pictures etc).

Brotuulaan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Will do.

What if I don't find anything easily movable/deletable? It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I moved all my pictures and such when I added my terabyte HDD.

Brotuulaan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Yes, games take up a large portion of my hard drive.

The Paladin, I couldn't do that because uninstalling anything from there kept giving me the error that I didn't have enough space on my hard drive. But now I've got enough space cleared to uninstall stuff!

I looked around in my directory for items that didn't require uninstalling and I didn't need anymore, and I found that I still had a folder for Dropbox that had a decent amount of space used (something like 2GB). I deleted that whole folder, and now I can uninstall all the things!

Brotuulaan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Perhaps it would be a good thing to keep a movable file on every hard drive in order to guarantee free space later? Have you ever heard of anyone doing such a thing? I could see that being good practice, given this experience.