Question Can't Update Bios Past F11 on Gigabyte X670 Motherboard

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I bought myself a Ryzen 9950X CPU to replace the 7950X in my motherboard, as my old CPU also needs warranty on it (fried GPU). I've tried updating the bios before with this issue. My 7950X is still installed at the moment, but I cant update the bios in the motherboard to anything past F11. I updated it to F31d so I can put in the 9000 cpu, but once again it hangs on reboot. It doesnt boot. I cleared the CMOS by pressing the white button on the board for 10 seconds too. The computer just stays powered on for a long time with no boot. Why cant I go beyond F11 when running the 7950X? And what am I missing here? Do I need the newer cpus for it to just boot? My motherboard is in my signature (Aorus Elite AX).

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
So I decided to just swap out the cpus putting the new 9950X in. I was hoping it would actually boot this time. Nope. I used the power button on the case and it turned on. No boot after so many minutes. I tried using the power button to shut it back off. Power button wouldnt power the system off. I had to throw the switch on the PSU to turn it all off. Flipped the switch and the stupid system turned back on again without using the case power on button. So I threw the PSU switch off again. I wonder if maybe there was a bit too much thermal paste on the CPU? So what would be causing the system now to not power off, or boot for that matter? Something has to be haywire with my motherboard.