Question Can't update to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 / Realtek Bluetooth Driver

Apr 1, 2020
Hi guys! My PC is an ASUS X550JX, currently running Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit.

So after a few years I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 10 after (conveniently) Adobe decided to stop supporting other versions of Windows except 10 for Photoshop, XD etc. So, my work requires it. I would MUCH prefer to stay with 8.1 but .. well. Anyway, I try upgrading via the Media Creation Tool , but alas after selecting "Upgrade now" I was thawed with an “The language or edition of the version of Windows currently installed on your PC isn’t supported by this tool” error, despite my Windows being in ENGLISH and GENUINE. Not to despair I created a bootable USB next. After creating it and starting the Windows 10 setup AND SLOWLY moving trough the steps I was finally slapped with another error:
4531691_en_1

For disclaimer: This is not an actual screenshot of my personal error, but rather the Microsoft official site link. But my error is exactly the same.

Anyway I followed the advise that was given: HERE , but again - to no avail. My Device Manager says "Windows has detected your driver is up to date."
GREAT! I said to myself, "must be an installation error then." - Tried everything with a restart, tried disabling driver, uninstalling it etc. - nothing worked.
So I tried a 3rd party program - Driver Easy. It updated my Realtek Bluetooth Adapter 4.0 driver from version 1.3.864.1 to 1.3.877.3 , BUT as you can clearly see Windows 10 REQUIRES version 1.5.XX to be able to install.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME. I've looked everywhere for a driver to absolutely NO avail. From what I can make of it there is simply NO 1.5. Realtek Bluetooth Adapter 4.0 driver for Windows 8.1.

Am I misssing something here???

Apr 1, 2020
Have you tried uninstalling the bluetooth drivers and re running the install? Just thinking, if windows can't see the BT it won't complain, then once 10 is installed you can grab newer drivers.

Yup, did that & it still gives out that error ... I thought the same thing, alas .....

Apr 1, 2020
is there anything on laptop you want to keep?
Do you know your product key?
use the win 10 installer to do a clean install and enter the product key when asked for one, you should be able to clean install using the key you have and completely bypass the error.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Well ideally I would like to keep all of my data. I have tons of project files, not to mention resources that I would have to export. I don't even have an external drive large enough to handle all of my data. The clean install means wiping my drives, right? Isn't there a way to install Windows 10 with the product key, but keep my data and bypass the error as you mentioned. Because I tried booting from the USB and when prompted for my license key I chose the "Activate when Windows is upgraded." option which in turn gave me an error that Windows can't be upgraded.

Apr 1, 2020
it was just a thought :)

Are you upgrading using the right tool? I just noticed its enterprise and that uses a completely different upgrade path to Home/Pro

chipset of the Realtek BT - RealTek RTL8821AE
the newest drivers for that chipset is 1.4 - https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8812ae-software

I don't know how MS expects you to do the impossible.

Ugh thank you so much for replying by the way, I'am so frustrated that I even forgot to mention it .. Anyway, I don't really know what other tool to use? In my original post I mentioned what I'am currently trying out .. if you have any other ideas, feel free to shoot them. I can post more specs for my PC/Drivers if that will help .. I can scan it with something/software etc. Exaaactly it just seems like I'am missing something or it's just plain dumb and impossible.

Apr 1, 2020
who installed Enterprise on the laptop? The update path for those is completely different

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/

this might help or you might still get stuck - https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/..._enterprise_iso_with_media_creation_tool.html

It was installed nearly 5 years ago by my uncle who works in a state run corporation. The Windows copy is bundled with hundreads of other employees licenses. I'am gonna check them out and .. ugh most likely just call it a day for that update. Guess I will stick with 8.1. I just absolutely HATE the policy of phasing an OS that is merely a few years old out so quickly.

Apr 4, 2020
Hi guys! My PC is an ASUS X550JX, currently running Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit.

So after a few years I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 10 after (conveniently) Adobe decided to stop supporting other versions of Windows except 10 for Photoshop, XD etc. So, my work requires it. I would MUCH prefer to stay with 8.1 but .. well. Anyway, I try upgrading via the Media Creation Tool , but alas after selecting "Upgrade now" I was thawed with an “The language or edition of the version of Windows currently installed on your PC isn’t supported by this tool” error, despite my Windows being in ENGLISH and GENUINE. Not to despair I created a bootable USB next. After creating it and starting the Windows 10 setup AND SLOWLY moving trough the steps I was finally slapped with another error:
4531691_en_1

For disclaimer: This is not an actual screenshot of my personal error, but rather the Microsoft official site link. But my error is exactly the same.

Anyway I followed the advise that was given: HERE , but again - to no avail. My Device Manager says "Windows has detected your driver is up to date."
GREAT! I said to myself, "must be an installation error then." - Tried everything with a restart, tried disabling driver, uninstalling it etc. - nothing worked.
So I tried a 3rd party program - Driver Easy. It updated my Realtek Bluetooth Adapter 4.0 driver from version 1.3.864.1 to 1.3.877.3 , BUT as you can clearly see Windows 10 REQUIRES version 1.5.XX to be able to install.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME. I've looked everywhere for a driver to absolutely NO avail. From what I can make of it there is simply NO 1.5. Realtek Bluetooth Adapter 4.0 driver for Windows 8.1.

Am I misssing something here???
I had the EXACT same issue. Here is what worked for me. I first disabled the Bluetooth audio driver. I then uninstalled it completely. The windows 10 upgrade/update process then went through.

I was stuck on this for HOURS! Hopefully this helps some people out.

Apr 1, 2020
I had the EXACT same issue. Here is what worked for me. I first disabled the Bluetooth audio driver. I then uninstalled it completely. The windows 10 upgrade/update process then went through.

I was stuck on this for HOURS! Hopefully this helps some people out.

Doesn't work in my case ... Tried it twice ...