Question Can't update Windows 10 from version 1909 ?

Sep 9, 2022
ive been struggling with this issue for two years now .every time i try to update my windows version 1909 to any newer version i get the BSOD "kmode exception not handled". And if by some miracle the update finished successfully i can only work in my updated version for 10 to 15 minutes then the same bsod pops up again .i even bought a new ssd and removed the old one from my computer installed windows from creation tool .nothing . after 15 min of me trying to setup my computer the bsod pops up again . can anyone help me please

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer

I'd advise on backing up all your critical data, recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, then reinstall your OS from scratch. Have a thumb drive with your platforms necessary drivers at hand. Make sure that the www is disconnected from your system when installing the OS. Once your OS installation is successful, copy over the drivers and then manually install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the clean install doesn't help and you keep getting the errors, there is no point reinstalling again.

Its done it on 2 drives now, its not windows.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
What are specs of the PC?

Sep 9, 2022
if the clean install doesn't help and you keep getting the errors, there is no point reinstalling again.

Its done it on 2 drives now, its not windows.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
What are specs of the PC?
here are my pc specs .and i'll try to create the dump and share it

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsZjM_wkma5DgZVC48IwZj7xHidu1Q?e=2EQomj

Colif

Win 11 Master
What model Gateway is it?
this one? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ZA/content/support-product/3695?b=3
not many drivers there even for win 7.

CPU: i5 2400
8gb ram
Gateway DT71 motherboard (Bios P01A2C0b dated 20/7/11)
Radeon R9 200 series
1gb Toshiba hdd
500gb Samsung hdd
256gb Micron ssd

don't expect you to know PSU in a 10 year old Gateway but it could be cause... given its possibly age

It could be a driver you missing too, so I look at dumps once you show them. No rush.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022
What model Gateway is it?
this one? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ZA/content/support-product/3695?b=3
not many drivers there even for win 7.

CPU: i5 2400
8gb ram
Gateway DT71 motherboard (Bios P01A2C0b dated 20/7/11)
Radeon R9 200 series
1gb Toshiba hdd
500gb Samsung hdd
256gb Micron ssd

don't expect you to know PSU in a 10 year old Gateway but it could be cause... given its possibly age

It could be a driver you missing too, so I look at dumps once you show them. No rush.
i tried to update again for the dumps and it successfully updated but the problem of the bsod every 15min is still there .
here are the dumps
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsZjM_wkma5DgZVGEraEQ0it5azoHg?e=AUaDzn
PS: yes it's the same model you referred

Colif

Win 11 Master
File: 091022-5546-01.dmp (Sep 10 2022 - 10:02:59)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

File: 091022-11125-01.dmp (Sep 10 2022 - 10:12:54)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: CompatTelRunne)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

results - click run as fiddle to see results (need to clean these up)
i would get you to run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool except it doesn't apply to your CPU

When you last installed win 10, did you do it as an update from win 7? Just wondering if its a missing driver (as I said before)
Its the same actions running both times, leading to same error. Both cause by divide by zero fault.
DivideErrorFault+0x30a
shows both times. CPU calls error
love to tell you why as the one driver that showed in error 1 wasn't showing in error 2.

What to do... good question :)
In crash 1 you were using

May 25 2016evbda.sys Broadcom NetXtreme II 10 GigE VBD driver
In 2nd BSOD you were using
Jun 12 2018e1i65x64.sysIntel(R) Gigabit Adapter driver
Do you have two choices?
using 2nd might be preferable

might get you to run this overnight
if its going to BSOD, might as well run it off USB
Prime 95 bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

just curious if its CPU. All of the actions take place on CPU, that is fairly normal but it mentions ppm. Its a part of windows that talks to CPU.

might as well run this and see if it finds anything - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Sep 9, 2022
thank you. the first bsod happened during the update my pc restarted I thought it was going to roll back but it didn't .then after it finished updating I got the second bsod
my question is should I run the stress test in this 20h2 version or rollback to the stable 1909 version?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you give me any more, can you put them in a new zip folder as it means I don't have to sort through it and see which ones I already done.

Conversion of dumps
Results - click run as fiddle to see report
File: 091022-9406-01.dmp (Sep 11 2022 - 05:43:58)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File: 091022-8968-01.dmp (Sep 11 2022 - 05:39:37)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: TiWorker.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

File: 091022-8312-01.dmp (Sep 10 2022 - 18:36:33)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: MsMpEng.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File: 091022-11296-01.dmp (Sep 10 2022 - 10:36:43)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: sppsvc.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File: 091022-11250-01.dmp (Sep 10 2022 - 18:47:46)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File: 091022-10531-01.dmp (Sep 10 2022 - 18:45:52)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

File: 091022-10046-01.dmp (Sep 10 2022 - 10:35:50)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: DriverBooster.)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File: 091022-10000-01.dmp (Sep 11 2022 - 05:29:17)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

Don't use Driver Booster, it can make things worse by installing the wrong drivers

they are all divide by zero faults

May 03 2014e1c64x64.sys
Intel(R) Gigabit Adapter NDIS
try running this and see if anything newer - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Sep 9, 2022
I'm sorry for the inconvenience . if the problem is drivers can you recommend another free driver software .I already tried intel driver support assistant it doesn't work at all it redirect me to the download page

Colif

Win 11 Master
there isn't really any 3rd party driver updater that is trustworthy enough to get it right every time. I don't really use them. I go to the maker of the hardware and get it off them.

Was win 10 updated from Win 7?

it could be you should stay on Version 1909. If the makers of the hardware aren't updating drivers anymore, it could be staying on 1909 is the best idea. I know there is some hardware that they suggest to just stop.

New version of win 10 should be out this month, you could try making an installer of it and see if its any better.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022
there isn't really any 3rd party driver updater that is trustworthy enough to get it right every time. I don't really use them. I go to the maker of the hardware and get it off them.

Was win 10 updated from Win 7?

it could be you should stay on Version 1909. If the makers of the hardware aren't updating drivers anymore, it could be staying on 1909 is the best idea. I know there is some hardware that they suggest to just stop.

New version of win 10 should be out this month, you could try making an installer of it and see if its any better.
thank you I'll try that

TRENDING THREADS