[SOLVED] Can't upgrade Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2-rev-66 BIOS. But, do I need it?

Dec 14, 2018
Hi,

I have a MOBO Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2-rev-66 and need to upgrade its BIOS in order to enable support to a Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz CPU. However, I keep gettin' errors about ""bios ID check error" in Q-Flash. I think it's due to the fact the mobo uses a custom BIOS which displays the vendor name at the boot. At this moment, the CPU is identified as an E8400 @ 2Ghz during the POST.

However, there's a "O.C. FSB 1333 Core.2 CPU" option in the BIOS that, when enabled, seems to make the CPU runs at correct speed, even so that Windows 7 identifies it correctly, @ 3Ghz.

My questions:

1 - using the "O.C. FSB 1333 Core.2 CPU" option configures an overclock?

2 - should I bother upgrading the BIOS instead of using above option or is it better to keep things as-is?

3 - if so, how can I force the update, since Q-Flash doesn't allow me to do it? (I've triple check the BIOS version in the Gigabyte site and I'm 100% sure it's the correct version)

I'm not tech savvy, so forgive if my questions are redundant. Thanks.

Solution
Since no one cared to reply me, I'll register here what happened: took the computer to the store I bought it and the guy just did the update using Gigabyte's @Bios tool.

Yes, I know every people say it blows the computer to pieces and to avoid it at any coast, but it worked just fine. Now my mobo officially accept the E8400 processor and everything seems to be ok.

Thank you all.

Dec 14, 2018
Since no one cared to reply me, I'll register here what happened: took the computer to the store I bought it and the guy just did the update using Gigabyte's @Bios tool.

Yes, I know every people say it blows the computer to pieces and to avoid it at any coast, but it worked just fine. Now my mobo officially accept the E8400 processor and everything seems to be ok.

Thank you all.

Solution