Question Can't Upgrade to Windows 11 (CPU Issue)

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Hello friends,

I was checking my system to upgrade to Windows 11 and under PC Heath Check, it said my CPU wasn't compatible.

Here is my processor:

Intel Core I7-7700k - Kaby Lake Quad Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151

Motherboard:

Asus Z170-A LGA 1151 6GB/z ATX

I built this system in 2017. Would anyone know what CPU would make this compatible without changing motherboards?

Thank you very much! (if more information is needed, please let me know)

Jeff

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: 35below0

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you all for the quick response!

So, I have to rebuild my system with a new motherboard and CPU, Gezzzzzzz, Lol
Your system is currently a 7 year old platform.
8 years old by the time Win 10 falls off support in Oct 2025.

Pre Windows 10, incompatibility over that timespan was the norm, and NOT unusual.

For instance, Win 7 released in 2009 would have absolutely struggled with a 2002 era CPU (Pentium IV), if it ran at all.
Or a 1995 era CPU with WinXP in 2001.

Win 10 brought in a LOT of older CPUs.

Reactions: 35below0

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
If I upgrade MB and CPU, I will have to probably upgrade ram (32gb currently), graphics card as well? I should have no issues if I still use my SSD with Windows 10 and then do the upgrade correct?

Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
I should have no issues if I still use my SSD with Windows 10 and then do the upgrade correct?
That will likely fail.
Moving a drive+Windows OS to a new motherboard often fails.

Your new system needs a fresh OS install of Win 11.

Assuming your current Win 10 license is associated with a Microsoft account, you would be able to transfer the license for $0.
NOT the actual install.

Jun 27, 2024
Would anyone know what CPU would make this compatible without changing motherboards?
Yes, you can bypass the CPU compatibility checks by either editing the registry during the setup process, or the far simpler method, is to just create a bootable .ISO using Rufus which just replaces C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\appraiserres.dll with a empty dummy file.

There are certainly methods to install Windows 11 on an unsupported system, but there is no guarantee, or in reality it's highly unlikely, MS will allow security updates to continue on unsupported computers, so you are back to the same issue with MS discontinuing free security updates for Windows 10. MS has already stated it will sell an extended service to continue security updates for Windows 10 for a few years, which will extend the usefulness of computers like yours. Interestingly enough most of the Windows 11 touted AI capabilities won't work with the Windows 11 supported computers that have been bought over the last few years (many since since 2018) as the new required Snapdragon CPU computers are only now being sold (mid 2024).

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
If I upgrade MB and CPU, I will have to probably upgrade ram (32gb currently), graphics card as well? I should have no issues if I still use my SSD with Windows 10 and then do the upgrade correct?

Thank you!
With this modest upgrade motherboard/CPU swap, you can keep your existing components and open the door to updating to Win 11.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.94 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Pro RS ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $229.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-29 16:13 EDT-0400

There are some problems here. Number one, you get an F series CPU, which means no integrated graphics. Most of the time you don't need that, but sometimes GPUs die or exhibit silly problems. iGPU is handy to have. Unfortunately the next CPU up from 12400F is the 12400 for an extra odd $30.
Up to you whether you want this extra or not.

In the next few years, you might want to swap the CPU out for a 14700K, or a 14600K/13600K (13600K is cheaper and performs the same).

32 Gb of RAM is perfect. Only issue is possible incvompatibility but in that case you can sell your current RAM and get a new kit.
This G.Skill kit is only $55, but you probably won't need it: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kX...16-gb-ddr4-3200-cl16-memory-f4-3200c16d-32gvk

There is no reason your GPU would need replacing.

You will need to clean install Win 10 (or 11 if you have a Win 10 non-OEM license), and install all the drivers for the motherboard and GPU.

If you can afford it, and need it, a 1 Tb NVMe drive would really help things move fast:
$65 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2x...-40-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-tm8fpk001t0c101