Can't use ethernet after upgrading motherboard.

manu354

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
Hello everyone!

I am in an annoying situation. I bought a new motherboard because my old one broke (although I actually ended up fixing it after I bought the new one - the pins were slightly bent on the cpu socket) and thought I may aswell upgrade to the gen 8 cpus. I bought a Intel i5 8400 and a z370 extreme4.

Took me a while to install since I kept * up, but after a couple hours I got it to boot and it turned on fine. Windows did the whole getting devices ready spiel and after an hour of that I could finally use the PC. Except the ethernet didn't work. Windows will not acknowledge that the ethernet is plugged in. I thought its probably just the mobo driver - I hadn't installed them before via cd - so I hop onto a laptop and download the ASRock z370 Lan drivers and put them into a USB. Great. Unfortunately it won't install on the PC since it freezes at 'Intel network connections setup is preparing the install wizard'. I shutdown the PC and go into bios. Maybe lan or something was disabled. I tried running 'internet flash' and suprisingly that worked fine. It updated the bios to the latest firmware over the plugged in ethernet cable. At this point I was sure I just needed the driver to install and everything would work. So I put my old motherboard back in with the old CPU, ram etc and booted to windows, downloaded all the drivers I could find, installed them and put back my new motherboard in. No luck. That didn't do anything.

Now I am really stuck and I have no idea what to do. My last hope is you guys.

Solution
new mb wont run right unless you install the chipset drivers first then the other chipset drivers. google intel inf chipset drivers and install the newest. from the cd make sure you install inte lmei drivers too. whe nyou get online let windows update the mei drivers.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

when you swap into the new stuff you need to completely reinstall windows fresh

then install the mobo drivers

you have created a cluster**** of driver issues

XD

new mb wont run right unless you install the chipset drivers first then the other chipset drivers. google intel inf chipset drivers and install the newest. from the cd make sure you install inte lmei drivers too. whe nyou get online let windows update the mei drivers.

Solution