Cant use internet although it says i have full bars

Grant Harris

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
HI i have a lenovo i310 ideapad laptop and my internet is century link. When i look at my internet conection on my laptop it says I have full bars but when i go to anything that requires internet it says i am not connected to the internet and i cant use the program. Before i was able to fix this problem temararily by disableing my mcafee firewall but then that stopped working so i tryed ubplugging my router and plugging everthing back in. THat workded once but it does not work anymore. Does anyone know whats wrong please help.

Solution
The number of solid bars you have is only an indication of the strength of your wireless signal, it does not necessarily mean you have a working internet connection. It's entirely possible to have 5 solid wireless bars but no internet access if there is a problem not related to wireless.

First check the lights on your router to see if any are indicating a problem.
If a problem is indicated, check all the wires to make sure they are connected properly at both ends.
If the problem persists, contact your ISP to ask if there is a problem with their service in your area.

You can also try resetting the router by leaving it switched on and pushing the end of a paper-clip into the "reset" hole for ten seconds.

If all else fails & your...
The number of solid bars you have is only an indication of the strength of your wireless signal, it does not necessarily mean you have a working internet connection. It's entirely possible to have 5 solid wireless bars but no internet access if there is a problem not related to wireless.

First check the lights on your router to see if any are indicating a problem.
If a problem is indicated, check all the wires to make sure they are connected properly at both ends.
If the problem persists, contact your ISP to ask if there is a problem with their service in your area.

You can also try resetting the router by leaving it switched on and pushing the end of a paper-clip into the "reset" hole for ten seconds.

If all else fails & your ISP says there are no known problems with the service, try and borrow a router to use instead of yours just to test if yours is faulty. This will avoid spending money unnecessarily on a new one if you still have the same problems with the borrowed one.

Solution

Grant Harris

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

OK thanks for letting me know that I have gone over to a friends house and the connection works fine and it also works fine at school. Its kind of an on off problem. Also it works when i have the Ethernet cable plugged in. thanks for the ideas.

TRENDING THREADS