Question Can't use microphones (constantly enabling/disabling themselves)

abyss010

Commendable
Mar 16, 2021
I built a new PC recently and have been using my Xbox One controller's microphone as a microphone as I don't have one and I noticed that it wasn't connecting anymore (flashing like crazy disconnect and reconnect under Discord's settings and then stopped detecting) and went to see what's up. I noticed it was disabled so I enabled it and it started flickering enable and disable like crazy. Google didn't seem to have any help, is there a simple way to solve this? I think it's an issue with Windows, not the drivers or usb slots.

It started happening after a Windows update, but rollback didn't fix it.

Unplugging the device makes the Sound icon on the taskbar turn into an application icon. I have a recording of the flickering but it won't let me send the link so here is a photo (this but enabling and disabling like crazy)
frWkaer.png

I've also attempted to reinstall usb drivers and tried another headset too, doing the same thing so it isn't a broken microphone or so forth.

Any help would be appreciated as I am desperate at this point.

------
UPDATE: I noticed that this similar behavior is happening with headphones now too.
Here is what happened when I plugged in my Oculus headset:
zcE61Bv.gif

And after I restarted my PC and attempted to disable "Oculus Virtual Audio Device":

yTqNWIx.gif

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021
I built a new PC recently and have been using my Xbox One controller's microphone as a microphone as I don't have one and I noticed that it wasn't connecting anymore (flashing like crazy disconnect and reconnect under Discord's settings and then stopped detecting) and went to see what's up. I noticed it was disabled so I enabled it and it started flickering enable and disable like crazy. Google didn't seem to have any help, is there a simple way to solve this? I think it's an issue with Windows, not the drivers or usb slots.

It started happening after a Windows update, but rollback didn't fix it.

Unplugging the device makes the Sound icon on the taskbar turn into an application icon. I have a recording of the flickering but it won't let me send the link so here is a photo (this but enabling and disabling like crazy)
frWkaer.png

I've also attempted to reinstall usb drivers and tried another headset too, doing the same thing so it isn't a broken microphone or so forth.

Any help would be appreciated as I am desperate at this point.

------
UPDATE: I noticed that this similar behavior is happening with headphones now too.
Here is what happened when I plugged in my Oculus headset:
zcE61Bv.gif

And after I restarted my PC and attempted to disable "Oculus Virtual Audio Device":

yTqNWIx.gif
Try the windows support site, especially since you feel that it is related to an update.

abyss010

Commendable
Mar 16, 2021
Try the windows support site, especially since you feel that it is related to an update.

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything at all relating to my issue on here.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Seriously?

if you don't have an answer, the idea isn't to send the person to Microsoft forums, its to ignore the question and let someone who does know answer, answer question. Forums isn't here to just link to other places.

Colif said it better than I can. If you don't know the answer move along.