[SOLVED] Cant use other Power Plan than Ultimate Perfomance

Jan 24, 2019
So I builded my new pc and I was messing around when I noticed that in power plans I am in ultimate perfomance by default. Im trying to check balanced but it goes back to ultimate instanlty. I tried powercfg –restoredefaultschemes it fixes the issue until I reboot. Then it goes again in Ultimate Perfomance mode. Do you guys have any ideas how can I fix this? Is this a windows bug or it has to do with my pc. I have ryzen 2700x in case it matters

Solution
None of that makes any sense at all actually. Balanced has nothing to do with Ryzen, in any way, shape or form. For EVERY desktop system, the performance profile is the best option with either the standard 100/100 min and max processor power management settings, or as I prefer to see it configured, with an 8% min and 100% max processor power management setting so that the cool n quiet, speed step, speed shift or other power reduction settings are allowed to work the way they were intended.

If there is one specific feature in the performance plan that is for some reason problematic to you, you can always change that specific setting to one that better suits you while keeping the rest of the plan set to settings that best benefit...
Try resetting your CMOS to the default settings, by doing a hard reset. Then recheck the power plans afterwards.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Performance options are really only useful on a laptop as lower performance setting will conserve battery power. On a desktop PC that's obviously not relevant --- I always set maximum performance on my desktop systems. I don't see the point of limiting what your PC is capable of when it's running off mains power.

Correct me if I'm worng but Performance power plan enables constant max frequancy on all cores instead of utilizing Intel Speed Step, etc. Why would you want that during easy workloads like browsing, etc?

Jan 24, 2019
balanced mode scores higher in r15 for me than ultimate perfomance and I think balanced is more optimised for ryzen . Anyway the issue was that I couldnt change the mode whatever I did so it wasnt normal. All power plans are useful it depends on what you wanna do thats why you have the option to change it. I think i found a solution by deleting the ultimate perfomance from cmd. Now I can choose bbetween balanced and high according to my needs.

None of that makes any sense at all actually. Balanced has nothing to do with Ryzen, in any way, shape or form. For EVERY desktop system, the performance profile is the best option with either the standard 100/100 min and max processor power management settings, or as I prefer to see it configured, with an 8% min and 100% max processor power management setting so that the cool n quiet, speed step, speed shift or other power reduction settings are allowed to work the way they were intended.

If there is one specific feature in the performance plan that is for some reason problematic to you, you can always change that specific setting to one that better suits you while keeping the rest of the plan set to settings that best benefit desktop, and especially gaming or professional use systems.

The only benefit of a power saving or balanced plan, as Phillip Corcoran has already indicated, is primarily battery life for laptop and tablet systems. Since desktops have no battery, then aside from a very minimal power savings from the wall there is little or no benefit for desktop systems. A custom tailored high performance profile is recommended with the changes I already mentioned. This will allow the power saving C state and processor state settings to provide some measure of reduction in power consumption but more importantly it will allow and give cores time to cool when they don't need to be in use at a 100% state which can greatly benefit package temperatures over both the short and long term.

Solution
Jan 24, 2019

After setting 8% min perfomance at processor power management at high perfomance plan now I understand what you were trying to say. Now on idle I see normal numbers and when I need the extra power I have it. Thanks.