Can't use switch on fibre converter

Apr 16, 2018
I am trying to run two un-managed switches with a 200m (600 feet) single mode fibre between them, but it does not work. I can run a single device like a PC but not through a switch. Ideally I have a switch at the of the fibre to run 2 or 3 devices.

Does anyone know how I can run a switch on the end of fibre via a fibre converter?

These are the three tests I conducted:
Router>switch>fibre converter>fibre>fibre converter>switch>pc (not working)

Router>switch>cat 6, 20m>switch>pc (works fine)

Router>switch>fibre converter>fibre>fibre converter>pc (works fine)

At this stage I am using domestic switches and cheap TP-Link gigabit single-mode fibre converters, I also tested with Cisco switches and Allied Telesyn converters with SFP’s and still not working.

All fibre and gear is single-mode, there is no multi-mode gear used. I used a 200m single-mode fibre for test in the field, then conducted the test with a 2m patch lead with the same result.

Diagram here: http://www.play.digicast.com.au/temp/fibre_network_issue.jpg

As you can see the top option does not work, yet the other two options work fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Andrew

Solution
I agree it should work. When testing scenario 1 and 2 did you use the same port on the second switch? Maybe its a bad port issue?

Also it looks like your media converters have a Force and Auto switch. Auto should work but you can try Force to see if it makes a difference. I assume your switch is Gigabit capable?
It should work we do this all the time. Now years ago when I was using 100mbit fiber converters I had massive issue with duplex. The new gigabit ones seem to always just work. Then again the modern ones act as a switch where the old 100fx things were more closer to a actual bridge.

I agree it should work. When testing scenario 1 and 2 did you use the same port on the second switch? Maybe its a bad port issue?

Also it looks like your media converters have a Force and Auto switch. Auto should work but you can try Force to see if it makes a difference. I assume your switch is Gigabit capable?

Solution
Apr 16, 2018
Thank you very much for your response.

I got it working yesterday.
It would appear that every switch I was attempting to put on the end of the fibre was an older switch, each of them to my surprise was 10/100 not gigabit.

I placed a gigabit switch on it and it works well.

So I wonder if it was a mismatch between 10/100 and 1000, or that older switches don’t like any fibre converters.

I am so happy it's working now.

Thanks again for your assistance.