Capcom Dishes Out Early PC Specs For 'Resident Evil 7'

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimzkunk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I wonder why aren't they using current generation CPU for minimum&recommanded spec. They should just put the i5-6600 instead of this old Ivy i7. Meh...

evilpaul

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I'd say maybe it's well threaded and can do useful work on up to 8 logical cores because it's also running on the PS4/XB1 which have 8 Jaguar cores? Haswell is only at most very low double digits percent faster than Ivy Bridge at the same clock (if I'm remembering correctly), so an Ivy Bridge with a 200 MHz advantage and Hyperthreading, when well-utilized, should be a decent amount faster.

I looked at previous Minimum v. Recommended specs on Capcom's Steam game pages and they made more sense with slower dual-core minimums to slightly faster quad-core recommendeds.

I agree it's weird though. Maybe Capcom Japan just had an intern try the game on hardware they had lying around?

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
@Grimzkunk the performance margin for gaming between Ivy Bridge "K" CPUs and latest i7 is mostly academical, if you compare quad cores. You'll get a 5-10% performance increase between the old and the new, for a hefty price.

The only real reason one would upgrade would be to use more recent hardware (ie.: someone using a 2600k still runs DDR3 RAM, limited to lower frequency, etc., more recent motherboards with PCI-E 3.0 support, m.2 slots, etc.).

grimzkunk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I think I did not worded myself correctly. I know 3770 and 6600 give about identical performance in today's game, and thats my point. They should give their requirement using today's hardware.

I have in no way talked about upgrades... that was about spec requirement only.

dstarr3

Distinguished

There are more people with old hardware than new hardware, and the people that have new hardware are going to know they exceed the specs then anyway. Talking in older generations will be more informative to more people.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Love how the Author references Tom's CPU Heirarchy chart when the AMD 6300 listed as minimum doesn't even draw level with the i5 listed as minimum according Tom's chart. Funny how game developers clearly have a different opinion of AMD vs Intel than "journo's" here! Toms has become more and more Intel biased as time goes on! A DEVELOPER puts them on a par... I'm thinking they might know something Tom's journos don't....

Status
Not open for further replies.