Capping FPS make my games to stutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Hello,

As i try to reduce the input lag to a minimum i always cap my FPS to my refresh rate using RivaTuner or in-game built FPS limiter depends on the game. But if i cap the FPS games start to stutter. I have Vsync on, but it does not matter if it is on or off. I have 144hz monitor but i adapt refresh rates depending on what game i am playing. I only play two games right now which are Battlefield 1 with 120hz refresh rate and Assassins Creed Origins with 60hz refresh rate. If i dont cap FPS there is no stutter.

Rig is:
I7 8700
GTX 1080
2x8gb RAM working in dual channel at 3000mhz

I am using Windows 10 up to date and latest drivers for every component.

What i did to try resolving this:
-Fresh install of Windows 10.

Example in BF 1 using in-game FPS limiter and graph:
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUgQRiZUqbs"][/video]

afaik, when frame are capped (like v-sync), all frame generation time is about 16.6 ms, if gpu, fails to generate the frame in that time, old frame will get replayed, and you get a stutter. i also finds low frame caps (60fps) tends to be less responsible in fps games.

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017

In the video i showed there is no RivaTuner. It was not even installed at the time i did the video.

@zyh1987 I had Windows 8.1 for a couple of months and i did not had any issue. It started a few weeks back when i installed Windows 10.

sturn42

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I have experienced this before. The resolution you have set may be the problem.

I noticed in your settings you have the resolution set to 1920x1080 @ 120hz. Adjust it to 1920x1080 @ 144hz. That should fix the stuttering even while limiting frames.

Might be a good idea to check your display adapter properties and make sure you have the 144hz refresh rate set there as well.

Let us know if this works.

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017

Display adapter proprieties were at 120hz too. I did tried 144hz too and it is the same, i still get the stutter spikes.

MaTT_SplaTT

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
I was getting severe stuttering in Assassin's Creed Origins even if I turned the graphics down to low. No matter what I tried the stutter was there. As a last resort I reformatted my C drive and reinstalled the latest Windows 10 iso. Problem fixed. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Oct 2, 2022
Hello, so today i have the same problem. I have new pc with intel i5-12600 and rtx 3060, ddr4 16 gb (3200). monitor 60hz. As long as i play games uncapped, it run smooth, but when i cap game at any FPS it starts to stutter. Anyone here solved the problem why capped games start to stutter?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, so today i have the same problem. I have new pc with intel i5-12600 and rtx 3060, ddr4 16 gb (3200). monitor 60hz. As long as i play games uncapped, it run smooth, but when i cap game at any FPS it starts to stutter. Anyone here solved the problem why capped games start to stutter?
4 years later, with completely different parts...

Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.