[SOLVED] Caps lock button does nothing (Windows 10)

Feb 8, 2021
A few days ago I noticed that my caps lock button is not working properly. Indicator light turns on but I keep typing in lower case, but if I let it "on" (or "off") and then switch to another window, it works.

-I tried to fix it by switching the "input language hotkeys" but didn't work.
-Tried changing USB port, didn't work
-Plugged the keyboard on another pc, keyboard works fine.
-Reinstalled keyboard drivers, didn't work
-Operating system is up to date.

I'm using Windows 10 and the keyboard is the Corsair K68.

I've tried googling for other solutions but none of them worked for me so far. Any advice?

Solution
I don't suppose its a Icue setting, that would be random
Below is how to disable a key, might help to check the setitngs in Icue
There's actually a much simpler way to achieve this in iCue.
  • Under your K70 profile in the iCue software, go to "Actions" and click the plus to add an action.
  • In the settings panel, below the image of the keyboard, change the dropdown list from "Macro" to "Disable" (in the actions list)
  • Click the Caps Lock key on the keyboard image. It should leave a little circle with an x in it to mark the key as disabled.
  • Finally, change the setting from "Disable Key" to "Disable key if Lock button is on" (Optional, but recommended)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't suppose its a Icue setting, that would be random
Below is how to disable a key, might help to check the setitngs in Icue
There's actually a much simpler way to achieve this in iCue.
  • Under your K70 profile in the iCue software, go to "Actions" and click the plus to add an action.
  • In the settings panel, below the image of the keyboard, change the dropdown list from "Macro" to "Disable" (in the actions list)
  • Click the Caps Lock key on the keyboard image. It should leave a little circle with an x in it to mark the key as disabled.
  • Finally, change the setting from "Disable Key" to "Disable key if Lock button is on" (Optional, but recommended)

does key work in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it does, it could be a start up program conflicting
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Reactions: Drak3n
Solution
Feb 8, 2021
Thank you!

I managed to fix the issue after doing what you posted. The software causing all this was GeForce Experience; turns out my brother accidentally bound the Caps Lock key to "mute microphone" and that's why it didn't work unless I switched to another window. I never thought of checking the hotkeys on that software since I never modify them.

Again, thanks a lot for your help and sorry for the inconvenience.