Question Capture Card Compatibility Question

ek_e123

Reputable
May 9, 2020
I'm thinking of getting the elgato HD60 X for my PS5. The system requirements of this capture card are:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

CPU: 6th generation Intel Core i5 CPU (i5-6xxx) / AMD Ryzen 7 (or better)

Radeon RX 480 or better

Ram: 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 3.0 port

My pc has a ryzen 5 3600x, an rx 5700xt and 16gb ram.

I don't have experience with capture cards, but I can't see why my pc couldn't support it. Can it?

Requirements and support I've found is more what the company is willing to put up with, rather than what actually is capable of running it.

For instance, you can install and run Windows 10 from a Pentium 4 processor, which was at least 10 years old at the time of Windows 10's release. And there are people who install and run Windows 11 on CPUs that aren't on Microsoft's supported CPU list.

They used to show wich version of their hardware had hardware encoding and which depended on the pc for the encoding...they don't anymore.
The reason they ask for an i5 but an r7 could very well be because the intel cpu has hardware encoding from the igpu.
They also list an nvidia gpu as required which could be for the same reason, they have nvenc.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If that is the case the encoder in the 5700XT would more than suffice.

Intel QuickSync might be what they are after, but AMDs equivalent .

Still, since the system is going to be capturing console footage, and not actually running the game. I think the requirements are going to be a lot less then listed.

Still, since the system is going to be capturing console footage, and not actually running the game. I think the requirements are going to be a lot less then listed.
It's a capture card...it always takes an external signal, it does not encode the screen of the system it runs on, so the requirements they list are not for running the game at the same time.
But yes, his system should be more than enough at least for 1080p/60 at good quality.

ek_e123

Reputable
May 9, 2020
But yes, his system should be more than enough at least for 1080p/60 at good quality.

Maybe I can do better than this?

Right now my system can run a game at 1080p144fps and at the same time record it with obs in 1080p60fps at indistinguishable quality with minimal frame drops in the video.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It's a capture card...it always takes an external signal, it does not encode the screen of the system it runs on, so the requirements they list are not for running the game at the same time.

It needs something, or else it wouldn't have hardware requirements on the PC side. Could be just the data being shuffled to storage after the capture card encodes it. Unless it does use the PC hardware for encoding. Either way.