Carmack: Direct3D Now Better Than OpenGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just because one person says something is better than something else doesn't make it true. Example: Mac OSX is the best platform to develop by - Me

G

funny how thats works huh, one had lots of money poured into it the other not so, i wonder whats going to happen with openCL vs directcompute/CUDA

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]wine is the directx killer.[/citation]

The DX "emulator" is the DX killer... your drugs must be epic.

But this news is about o i dunno 8 years or so to late.

Like I've always said: OpenGL has more than one obstacle to improve itself from version to version. Being that the case, it's almost impossible to compete against DirectX and it's closed and "we don't care about backwards compatability" attitude.

I wonder though, what will happen in the long run... I'd rather have OpenGL games anyday, anytime over OpenGL, but it's so damn hard to make things over OpenGL (at least, in my little experience), unlike with DirectX.

Cheers!

G

RIP Glide... Not an expert on the subject but for the games I experienced using it, it was the best, least buggiest & smoothest API.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
That was because GLIDE was locked in to the hardware GPU 3DFX... and back in those days, DirectX and OpenGL were CRAP. The games used those other two, but it was GLIDE that made visuals actually POP.

By the time the TNT2 hit the market, Glide was sinking - being slower, more expensive, lack of 24/32bit color and of course throwing away their partners pretty much ended 3Dfx.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]DirectX binds gamers to Windows, being the only reason I run Windows at home.[/citation]
Me too.and Microsoft is still pissing PC gamers away.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Ironic that THW gamers are so critical of iOS and MacOS being closed when MS does its utmost to ensure DirectX remains Windows only.

Those poor gamers end up locked into a platform they cannot escape from. Once held captive they are further brain washed into believing they made a choice.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]Me too.and Microsoft is still pissing PC gamers away.[/citation]
i coudl care less. we have a few companies that actually give a shit. i don't want a clunky ass GFWL anyway, i'm fine with sticking to one: STEAM

G

@username

tell you what you name me another gaming platform that's not a console....... oh wait there isn't one, if your a serious gamer then you dont have a choice, you have to use a windows machine, but funny thing with that is you get to do what ever you like with YOUR hardware, like dual boot a linux os along side, but i guess you have that choice with apple products too.......

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
And the has been steps up with his feelings on currect API's. In other news, some guy who once assembled 8-track cartridges said blu-ray is better than DVD but could still be improved upon.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
"campb292: And the has been steps up with his feelings on currect API's. In other news, some guy who once assembled 8-track cartridges said blu-ray is better than DVD but could still be improved upon."

hahah Nice that made my day : )

G

I'm on the side of Science. If it ain't open source, it ain't science; if it ain't science then it's a dead end of enquiry and should be scrapped as soon as possible. But I take the holistic and long term approach to computer science, where as Microsoft and Apple take the 'abuse the customer' approach while eviscerating scientific research by hiring all the smart graduates.

G

A word to you Carmack: Don't believe M$ FUD!!! OpenGL is open source, while DirectX is a proprietary API. Well, whatever. At least DirectX doesn't match up to Clutter...

thebozo1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Traitor, went over to the dark side John, did MS pay you to say that?[/citation]
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]Haha carmak has been a stonch beleiver of open gl for years and now he finally admitws that direct x is better.... 4 gen after the fact.[/citation]

P.S. fewls, he did not commence utilizing DirectX, he merely stated that it manages a few things better than OpenGL does.
"He does not have plans in moving to DirectX any time soon"

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Well Open GL haven't been the driving factor for gfx api's for several years, MS does a way better work at enhancing their DirectX and make the hardware partners follow it.

I rather have a live and kicking API even when its MS than have a half dead API thats only kept alive trough copying the competitions ideas, while not bringing anything new to the table. I hope the open alternative wins but in order to make that happen it have to evolve and fast but i don't see that happen anytime soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.