Carmack: iPhone Powerful as PS2, Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobhob

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I could see it as powerful as a psp, which can more or less sort of simulate ps2 graphics, but not as powerful as a ps2 because it wouldn't have a powerful enuf processor in it without it at least having heat problems for the iphones size. I don't see where ram can improve grphics as it says in the article, just load times idk.

G

It doesn't say that ram improves graphics. It says that the graphics aren't as good but it has more RAM.

G

Carmack is dreaming gagain...pure lol
Iphone has so far even from PSP's capabilities...uncomparable...not to mention PS2 or the Xbox, heh

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I have to agree with yuko, I have a 3G, PSP and a long time ago I had a PS2 (have PS3 now).
My Iphone 3G occasionally has lag not even gaming, the graphix are awesome (for a phone) but it certainly is not capable of Quake death-matches.

I dont doubt for a second Id Software could make a PS1 type game for the 3G, but not PS2 or PSP unfortunately. Furthermore the touch display is fantastic but I cant see it functioning well for many types of games, in particular a first person shooter.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Dear all the above.

For argument's sake - Lets say the graphics are the same or even better than a ps2 or xbox.

ok - "The graphics are the same or even better than a ps2 or xbox."

How long will the battery last? No good having a phone if you've used the power on a 15min death match.

Yes its a pain having to carry all these bits, but when one runs out of juice, I can still use the others. I for one, am a naysayer till they fix the issue of me having to remeber to charge everything up all the time.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Carmak has lost his mind. For a while now he been spewing absolute nonsense. The next time someone reports something about him hopefully it's about him checking into a rehab clinic.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
LOL ByDesign agreed he has been on a binge lately, although not as bad as Romero's hmmm maybe they could convert DaiKatana for the iPhone lol

I like the iPhone and want one so bad I have been looking at Chinese clones www.dealextreme.com (but the quality is probably far far lower then Apples)

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]yuko[/nom]Carmack is dreaming gagain...pure lolIphone has so far even from PSP's capabilities...uncomparable...not to mention PS2 or the Xbox, heh[/citation]
Yeah,but I guess you cannot still play on a Mac.

admiral_grinder

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I can see the iPhone doing Quake 3. I had a p2 333 celeron in 1999 with a TNT2 Ultra that could play it just fine. A quick comparison of the specs of the iPhone supports that idea unless there is some major architecture problems. I wouldn't worry about heat so much since these chips are vastly scaled in size and use less power. The small screen will help, it is only 480×320, a cake walk for even software renders.

The Xbox is only a 733 celeron with a modified geforce chip and 64 mb of ram, and with better compiler optimizations, iPhone could do it too.

ize

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I love to see how many people claim that the iPhone is so inferior without stating any facts to support the claim. Keep in mind that the iPhone has a 600 MHz ARM core which most certainly beats the crap out of a 733 MHz Celeron (I thought it was an 800 Celeron in the XBox but it doesn't matter, its the same ballpark).

Yes Carmack might be stretching the envelop a bit much this time, but fact remains that he is the pro. We who make comments are just amateurs. That makes Carmack much more suitable for making educated guesses just how much performance can be squeezed out of the iPhone.

As for battery life: The thing that takes most energy in a phone is sending voice over the phone network. That's why you have 60 hours standby and 5 hour talk time normally on a phone. Obviously back-light will take power as well as a 100% loaded CPU core. Exactly how much remains to be seen, but it is very easy to test. Write a homebrew application which loads the CPU to 100% and has the back-light on and see when the phone dies. If it lasts for an hour, then we have a platform which is OK for gaming. And yet again, don't you think Carmack has tested this already?

bretthowell

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks admiral_grinder, at last someone pulls out the facts rather than relying on a distant memory of "how cool" those consoles used to be....

Guys come on, the PS2 and Xbox were released in 2000 and 2002 respectively. Electronics either get faster or smaller, in this case what Carmack implies is that the horsepower has been packed into a deceptively small case.

It's been reported tha iPhone has 677 Mhz CPU, and 128MB RAM... add a math coprocessor and the raw numbers are very close to the Xbox specs admiral_grinder shared.

gaiden

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]Sounds like more accessories for the iPhone... so you can play decent games...[/citation]

ya it would be called iBatteryPlus, something you can attach to the bottom of your iPhone just like the Wii MotionPlus except the iBatteryPlus would be a 12cell 7lb battery to ensure long lasting entertainment while unplugged :p

patchez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
[citation][nom]admiral_grinder[/nom]I can see the iPhone doing Quake 3. I had a p2 333 celeron in 1999 with a TNT2 Ultra that could play it just fine. A quick comparison of the specs of the iPhone supports that idea unless there is some major architecture problems. I wouldn't worry about heat so much since these chips are vastly scaled in size and use less power. The small screen will help, it is only 480×320, a cake walk for even software renders. The Xbox is only a 733 celeron with a modified geforce chip and 64 mb of ram, and with better compiler optimizations, iPhone could do it too.[/citation]
LOL, i remember seeing some webpage a few months back with someone playing Q3 on their Ipod Touch - http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/05/quake-3-hits-the-ipod-touch-makes-for-portable-lan-party/

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I can assure you the Battery life is more then a small issue.
If I play Texas hold'em while the 3G is not plugged in the phone will die in about two-three hours.
Keep in mind This poker game doesnt have a lot of movement, it does look pretty nice.

ize

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
grieve, don't forget that powering a display of that size is much more energy consuming than powering an ARM core. If you have 3 hours playtime in the poker game I would guess that there are at least 2 hours playtime of quake or an equivalent.

Kuukage

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Benchmarks of the gpu-chip in iTouch/iPhone say its capable of accelerating 7M polygons per second while the PSP gpu goes 33M/s.

I don't call that little. iPhone architecture is great for general use and some kind of games but certainly it does NOT shine in the 3D department.

Are those 7M fully textured and lit? There is allot of marketing. 66M for PS2 was a great untextured unlit lie. 7 fully lit/textured would be almost gamecube(imo has smother better video then PS2 did[for clear reasons] and still out of Iphone's abilities).

From the looks Mariokart....uuummmm I mean that Crash game its frame rates are not quite that good. Could be bad game, could just be poor programing, or it could be a phone pushed too far.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-bandicoot-aurorafeint,video-182.html

G

I don't know why people are suffering with unlocking and all the blah blah with apple iphone.

I have a Pocket PC, I used a iphone theme (http://www.iphonethemeforpocketpc.com/) and everything worked like a magic to me. Now I'm having the iphone experience in my Pocket PC.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Are those 7M fully textured and lit? There is allot of marketing. 66M for PS2 was a great untextured unlit lie. 7 fully lit/textured would be almost gamecube(imo has smother better video then PS2 did[for clear reasons] and still out of Iphone's abilities).From the looks Mariokart....uuummmm I mean that Crash game its frame rates are not quite that good. Could be bad game, could just be poor programing, or it could be a phone pushed too far.http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone [...] o-182.html[/citation]

Best info I could find is telling me hes using numbers from a 2 year A4, if Apple's claims can be believed the gpu they sport in the A6 is up to 30 times more powerful then that, though benchmarks I saw show a little over half that at ~130.

Status
Not open for further replies.