Case air flow question

Dogeeric

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Hey guys.

I've recently build my pc for the first time and had a question about airflow.
My case is a NZXT h700i, i have a 360mm radiator with 3 120mm fans on the front as intake.
3x 120mm fans on the top as exhaust and a 140mm fan on the rear as exhaust.
But im waiting for my 1080 ti ftw3 hybrid to get delivered soon and was wondering what way
would be best to mount this. as a exhaust or intake?

thanks.

Solution
Case air flow is a very controversial thing, and rightly so since most configs are really ok.

If you want maximum performance, either put the rad on top of the case (if that is possible) and do triple 120 intake and top and rear exhaust (my personal preference for less dust buildup), or you can do the quad exhaust and have all intake from the CPU radiator, that is also very viable.

It's down to whether you want more dust or not.

Set it as exhaust. And remove those 3x120mm exhaust fans to avoid dust buildup and maintain positive air pressure.

Case air flow is a very controversial thing, and rightly so since most configs are really ok.

If you want maximum performance, either put the rad on top of the case (if that is possible) and do triple 120 intake and top and rear exhaust (my personal preference for less dust buildup), or you can do the quad exhaust and have all intake from the CPU radiator, that is also very viable.

It's down to whether you want more dust or not.

Solution

Dogeeric

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

gonna be a fun time doing cables again lul but uhm what's better in doing radiator on top and fans on the front? what does it change

Dogeeric

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

wait so 3x 120mm at front intake, 360mm radiator on top exhaust and rear exhaust?

( looking at a video from linustechtips his 1 year experiment ) shouldnt i be fine? my 360mm radiator at the front has a dust filter and it shouldnt be a big problem for exhaust without filter

Dogeeric

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

What if i have the ftw 3 hybrid fan as intake on the rear, the 360mm radiator at front as intake and then the top as exhaust? would that be positive or balanced?

I've done something really similar to what you are saying and it was bad. I've found that airflow in one single direction thru the entire case yields noticeably better temperatures.

So what I'd do is flip that rear 120mm radiator fan into an exhaust.

Latest posts