Case airflow and pressure question

Apr 3, 2018
Hi again guys,

I have a quick question (I know, everyone asks this question at one point but the environments differ so much that it's tricky to use their examples every time). I have an Enthoo Pro M case, and am busy planning my airflow configuration now. At the moment I have planned 2x 140mm intakes at the front, and 1x 140mm exhaust at the back, with an additional 1x 120mm intake at the top. The CPU is cooled by a Phanteks CPU cooler. The case will obviously also contain a graphics card (1080ti - not a blower-style card, but a normal one that just blows the air out of its fins back into the case).

I have sketched it as follows:

9DuqZv9.jpg

As you can see, as per the sketch I have a total (estimated) intake CFM of 196 CFM, and total exhaust of 97 CFM. The air cooler's fans blow the CPU air directly into the exhaust fan, which is good. But:

1) Is that too much intake vs exhaust ratio? I'm trying to obtain positive pressure, but I'm not sure if this may be "too much" intake?

2) Is the top intake fan a good idea? The goal in theory is to provide cool air that the CPU cooler can grab and send through its fins, while the front intakes' air can go more towards the GPU. Or will the air from the top clash with the air from the front and create issues?

3) Does the GPU have adequate cooling in this sketch? It'll have to send its hot hair back into the case in the hope that it makes it to the top and then gets pulled through the CPU cooler.. but then again, that top intake might mess with that? I don't know.. the positive pressure seems to be really high in this case, so possible most of the hot GPU air will be pushed out of the back vents, mostly bypassing the CPU cooler anyway.

4) And lastly, is that enough exhaust for the heat generated in the case (CPU + GPU)?

What are your thoughts?

Solution
Hi.i'm no expert on builds, however i had the same set up as you and placed a vent fan under the gpu card using a fan splitter had to remove a couple of bars from back but airflow def worth it i have an answered post in the cooling forum under' case fan splitter' Gigabyte
SKT-AM3+ 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard.with gtx 960 a6 fx 6350 .
hope this helps.
David.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, that's an imbalance all right, but I don't see an easy way to change that. Removing one of the front fans would decrease air flow, and I don't see a good way to add another exhaust fan. So maybe leave it that way.

As far as video card cooling goes, the scheme you show will tend to push some air flow from the two front fans down a bit, ensuring that there is a good supply of fresh air in the lower part of he case. That should give your video card enough cool air supply to do the job.

Apr 19, 2018

Apr 19, 2018
Hi.i'm no expert on builds, however i had the same set up as you and placed a vent fan under the gpu card using a fan splitter had to remove a couple of bars from back but airflow def worth it i have an answered post in the cooling forum under' case fan splitter' Gigabyte
SKT-AM3+ 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard.with gtx 960 a6 fx 6350 .
hope this helps.
David.

Solution